Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Grand Scenic 2.0 petrol, 2007 Grand Scenic 1.5 dCi, 2006 Grand Scenic 1.6, 2005 Clio II
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the last MOT the examiner commented on a noise from the o/s front strut when the steering was moved from side to side. As it was going to be dry this weekend I thought it would be a good idea to replace the strut top mount and bearing. And a fairly simple job became a major timewaster when the pinch bolt securing the shock absorber to the hub sheared after coming out about 10mm.

I should be able to remove it by drilling it out but I have been unable to find an online supplier to source a replacement. Can anyone point me towards a seller (nearest Renault dealer is a 3 hour drive) or tell me what type of thread it is (M10 x 1.25 ?)

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,803 Posts
If sheared off should be able to drift it out with a hammer and suitable punch.

No idea of thread but will be high tensile.
8.8 minimum, likely 10.9 grade.

Do not simply buy a standard bolt from your local DIY place.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,980 Posts
Next time you go to undo one ( as on the other side), hit the pinch bolt a few times, Yes hit dont tap it..

Then put your socket on, and undo slightly, socket off and smack the bolt again..
This will release the rust, but also open the two halves of the strut clamp and allow the pin to come out straight..
You might have a job on your hands drilling it out,, But you need to drill from the thread side, and not the smooth length of the bolt.

(If it goes pear shape you will need to use a nut and bolt, You will need a nut that cannot vibrate lose, as in a nylock nut, ..)

Reactions: Accc1987

·
41,980 Posts
No its a bolt that goes through one side of the hub to the other..
Barstewards they are to do,,,

Many a car I have taken complete leg and hub off to change the spring/top mount..
Its not much more time scale wise, cv centre nut, bottom ball joint, calliper, calliper carrier, abs , disconnected at the plug higher up (away from sensor), track rod end then its off

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Registered
2 Posts
No its a bolt that goes through one side of the hub to the other..
Barstewards they are to do,,,

Many a car I have taken complete leg and hub off to change the spring/top mount..
Its not much more time scale wise, cv centre nut, bottom ball joint, calliper, calliper carrier, abs , disconnected at the plug higher up (away from sensor), track rod end then its off
What does "Barstewards they are to do,,," mean ?

When I tried to undo the bolt now (Scenic 2, 2003) it sits real hard and feels like I would risk shearing the bolt if I apply more force.
I see NO NUT on the other side of the hub. I get the impression that the pinch bolt is threaded directly in the hub metal ?
Threads of the bolt extend some two centimetres out of the other side, but no nut ?
I will arrange some photos.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,155 Posts
"Barsteward" is a euphemism for the English word for a person born out of wedlock. it is used pejoratively to signify a difficult task.

·
41,980 Posts
The pinch bolts Shear ,
Then its another hub, as not many, if any, engineering firms will attempt to drill it out ..
Hence taking the hub off with the strut..
Unless you are changing shocker
Then take full leg and hub off..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyway I succeeded changing to a new spring on a Scenic 2 2.0 (2003),
It was not necessary to undo the bottom ball joint. In fact I was unable to have it move. But I found I could lower the wheel hub until it was possible to have the suspension strut clear from the hub with some sideways movements. Car in same position as when taking the wheel off and wheel hub supported from underneath with a jack both to undo the stabiliser shaft and when getting the shock strut back intio position after the spring change.
Compressing the spring both during removal and installing the new one is not a job for a beginner mechanic. Short of a workshop spring compressor I used old school compressor clamps. I needed four of them spread around the spring to compress it sufficietly. I used a tire change electric impact wrench to speed up the tightening/undoing of the compressor clamps. Some guardian angel in heaven in cooperation with own judgment ? made sure the spring did not break loose to kill anyone. Contrary to any DIY guide on this car the pinch bolt for the shock strut does not have a nut at the other end. It is threaded directly into the hub metal (!). Luckily I was able to have that bolt begin to move initially after lots of turning the bolt forward/backward while applying penetrating oil.

New spring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts