Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?

Banning/restricting cars over 10yrs old.

This is on the .gov website.

"Several EU proposals across the years are dangerous to the classic car movement. One that has been under consideration is to ban the use of cars older than 10 years. Similarly, Edinburgh City Council is considering the banning of cars over 15 years old from the town centre. These, and similar, proposals directly threaten the classic car movement, and encourage the manufacture of new cars, with the attendent environmental issues of sourcing raw materials, manufacturing, distriuting and scrapping the spiralling supply of new vehicles."

You'll be banned from using the roads and only allowed to take the vehicle out having obtained PRIOR consent from your local council.. I.e youd have to plan your route in advance and inform the council for approval who may then decline the whole thing or certain aspects like perhaps if you wish to pass through a city centre etc...

sign the petition here:
Petition to: Reject any proposals to ban or restrict the use of older cars.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Signed!:)

If this goes ahead,then there will be a very cheap X1/9 on ebay!:rolleyes:

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
I've signed too, hopefully the Hamster will get involved as well :)
Regards Leroy

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Some thoughts .... :rant:

The MOT

Sorry, I thought the point of an MOT was to test a car against the current standards agreed by the relevant authorities, therfore if it passes the MOT (albeit only valid for the point of test) then it has met those standards, therefore it is allowed to drive on any highway/byway or road in the country. :p

Means Testing

Are we seriously going to accept that travel by private car to a city should be means tested by the age of car chosen to use or one can afford to own? :(

Poverty scale

Is the goverment trying to create a new type of poverty and deprivation by insisting that people must attain a certain level of wealth before they can be allowed to travel by private car .... ? ..... they will be wanting to make people walk infront of you waving a green flag to signify that your coming along but your car is enviromentally sound! ... maybe its a unemployment reduction scheme? :rolleyes:

Tax increase

If they remove "old" cars from the road ... then who will pick-up the resulting revenue reduction ... oh ... I know .... put the tax up ... silly me! ... I'll not start on my abolish the road tax and put it on fuel duty rant again :eek: see previous posts if interested!

I think His Tonyness and his "green " cronies have lost it big style this time ...

POWEER .......................

Rant/moan Off :devil:

Reactions: scatz
S

·
0 Posts
That's the most ridikerous thing I've ever heard. As posted above - that's what the MOT is all about...

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Bumpy :d I think we need to keep this one near the top of the page chaps so everyone can get their pens out and sign the petition,
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
If this happens, i'll have to give up my job! My car is almost 8 years old. If my car is off the road, its three buses or two trains (one into Liverpool and one out again) just to get to work 12 miles away :crazy:

Well and truly signed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is properly stupid and a blatant Blair 'Global warming will kill us all... who can we blame now... classic car drivers... magic!' idea. There would be so many classic and retro cars which would have to be scrapped or kept in a garage which is just madness. In fact I'd have to scrap my car!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Nothing wrong with older cars if maintained properly, I would suggest possibly making the MOT stricter to abolish the bangers.

But a total ban is crazy & not that good for the environment.

Regards

Otttoman

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Why don't these stupid b:censored:s just tell us that we the common people can't have :censored: cars.

What comes next. 5 years. 2 years.
VIPs & MPs only. :rant:

:censored: to$$ers, the lot of them. :rant:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I've just sent a link to Oily,and he's signed it.:)

He has also pointed out that there are other deserving petitions on there too,including the one that regards tax exempt vehicles.Originally any car over 25 years old would be tax exempt,but this changed to any car registered before 1973.Another rip off from the wonderful government.:rolleyes:

My Exxy would be tax exempt next year if the 25 year rule was still current.....:(

O

·
0 Posts
They won't take any notice but sign away - typical of this 'people's government'

Don't they do something like this in Japan?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
i am not sure if this rule applies to china or japan,which is why we have a large amount of imports on our roads,i'll try to get a photo of the boat being discharged next time it is in.

just signed.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
That's me added as well - jeez - I've got 3 cars which fall into that category...

The irony is that they are all on restricted mileage classic insurance (1,500 miles; 3,000 miles and 5,000 miles per annum respectively). And don't do anything like that...

I'd like to turn my carbon footprint sideways and stick it up someone's carbon ar$3!

The lunatics took over the asylum a long time ago - the proof is conclusive.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
everyone will be made/forced to drive the £1000 Tata i reported about.

i agree the Mot test could be tougher on emissions, there is nothing worse than getting stuck behind an old Ford cugging out smoke.

D

·
0 Posts
signed up

what stooopid Bas*ards thought up this half ar5ed idea?
not anyone with a vested interest in motor industry I bet :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts