Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just brought a megane 16 plate dci 110bhp on 27,000 miles reading the manual doesn't make much sense to me.
I am best doing a service every year say every 12,000 miles?

And timing belt when should i get it done?

Thanks in advance

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,821 Posts
Timing belt is years or mileage
Best really to ignore manufacturers info here, as they are going on average.
And on a car no driver is average, some are really careful, some are bat sh1t crazy drivers.
So go on what ever comes first, 70,000 miles or 7 years..
Oil/Filter would go on every 12 months/9,000 then you will always be safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am not a mechanic but use recommended oil (c4) 5/30and change oil and filter every 12000 or every year, timing belt is quoted at every five years or 72000mls, hope this helps and any one may correct this post.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,970 Posts
That's a nice low mileage so worth looking after.
We do low mileage (3k) so stretch the oil change to a couple of years, but we got the car at 112k. I think at 27k I would be sticking to the book.
The thing is you get no warning of a belt failure so it's a lottery after the quoted years/mileage, and the old belt doesn't usually look worn- ours didn't after 9 years and 60k, just the print had worn off.
On low mileage you might be tempted to stretch the years a bit but it's your call.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,735 Posts
So go on what ever comes first, 70,000 miles or 7 years..
I think Renault's official is now 72K or 6 years
But as others have said, it can be a lottery.
A few years back it was 60K or 5 years.
Same belt and engine types have now gained a year.

This is simply because Renault have looked at real world failures, crunched the numbers and decided that the risk of failure is low enough not to bother them and is better then potential sales losses cos buyers want to avoid major costs for as long as possible.
It doesn't mean that the belt will definitely last 6 years or that it will fail if not changed.
Just that Renault may help with repair costs if it fails before and will not if after.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts