Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My Clio rear fog light is stuck on and my friend who works on my car is struggling to find the issue. The rear fog light is stuck on all the time, even with the key removed and car locked up!

So far he has replaced all the bulbs in the cluster cleaned up the earth behind the light and even removed the relay and it stays on! The only way around it is to remove the fog light bulb, but the MOT is due.
He says the green fog wire is getting constant power chance what he does.

The steering column stalk appears to work as when you turn it on and off, the warning on the dash goes on and off ok - So he does not think this is at fault, it is just a shame the fog does not go off with the dash warning!

Anyone any ideas how to fix this?? or just bodge it to get it through MOT? He was thinking of putting a switch in the wire, but the on dash warning would not work when the light is on and off!. So probably still fail MOT.

Any help? please

thanks

Jen

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,545 Posts
Cannot picture rear end of your car, but is the fog light part of your light cluster, or in the bumper?

·
40,545 Posts
Thanks Stu..
Jennie might be a daft question,, but are they the correct bulbs fitted.. There are numbers on the actual bulb carrier, stating what should be fitted. Though new, could have been supplied wrong, ( happens often)
Your fog light could be picking a circuit up from your side lights power supply .
Get your friend to make sure the pins inside all connectors, the parts that the bulbs pushes in , two prongs at the bottom of the holder are not too close together, and touching , and making a connection. through the bulb terminals ..

Only have the fog light bulb in the cluster at the back, take all other bulbs out, if it cures it, check your bulb fitment j

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
40,545 Posts
Can you post a picture of your oval plate,, please cover the vin number.
we only know its a CLIO III,
need to know if its 3door, 5door or an estate,,

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,657 Posts
Don't quite understand how the relay could be removed for the rear foglight as it does not have one, maybe he meant the headlight relay. I tend to agree that with the fog light warning going off this tends to mean the switch and UCH (the main box of tricks behind the dash are OK.
I've had a look at the wiring diagram and I think the problem might be caused by water ingress at the connector R2 under the passenger seat?, can you check for damp carpets?
If no luck I would try disconnecting the black connector to the UCH, no 5 terminal on this plug should have a brown or green wire that feeds the fog light. Then switch the rear fog light on and check the terminal pin on the UCH shows 12V then switch off and confirm 0V. This would show the UCH and switch are OK and the problem lies in the loom to the rear.
Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THank you :)

I have spoken with him, and he cannot find anything under the passenger seat, no connectors or a UCH. He is starting to suspect it must be something to do with the BCM behind the glove box, as cannot find anything wrong anywhere else. Problem he says with BCM it has a lot of green wires going to it, and needs to be removed to get the plugs out with the looks of it.

IS the BCM the same as the UCH?

Thanks,

Jennie

·
40,545 Posts
Yes Jennie, Now reread the thread by Wyn, he is explaining which plug to take off on the BCM ( Called UCH by Renault)..
Will make it easier if you show your sparky friend that post..
It will make sense to him , once he gets at the UCH..

·
1,657 Posts
Jennie,
Black 15 track connector pin 5 feeds the rear fog light, this is for a Clio with a key. On keyless versions the UCH is bigger, different and more complex, on this type the rear fog light is fed from pin 6 on the grey 12 track connector. Note it is the grey connector you are looking for, ignore the other coloured plugs that have grey coloured socked on the UCH itself.
If you have the keyless version I'd be inclined not to remove the grey connector as it contains an earth and could affect the correct functioning of the UCH, I'd cut the wire to pin 6 (so it can be soldered back together) and test the cut end of the wire to see if the fog light is being correctly fed from the UCH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you this has been so helpful, think he has determined now the UCH is at fault.
To get me an MOT he is going to run another switch/feed to operate the rear fog for now.

Whats the easiest way to have these UCH replaced? do they need programming to the car? if so anyone know what software is used to do it?

Thanks,

·
1,657 Posts
Jennie,
Sorry the news isn't better, the UCH, engine ecu and steering lock are paired together so UCH has to be replaced with the other 2 including the donor car key, eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIO-MK3-1-2-PETROL-06-2012-ECU-UCH-KIT-237101907R-S180042157-A-CONTINENTAL/192463761324?hash=item2ccfbbefac:g:JjkAAOSw7Etajukf
Unless you are lucky enough to find a donor kit that has the same engine ecu as yours it may be easier to wire a new feed to the foglamp but this has a further complication in that the foglamp can only work when the headlamps are switched on and I think this would be a real challenge to do successfully, you can't just take a feed from the switch as it connects to the UCH via a CAN system.
Is you car keyless? 'm wondering whether the fault with the UCH may be down to a poor earth as modern wiring often uses the earth to switch circuits on/off.

·
1,657 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, it is not as bad as I had thought at least i can get mine repaired.

He has got the light working by putting a feed from the battery directly to the wire on the pin of the rear fog. he has fitted a fog light switch for me which has the symbol and lights up when the fogs are on :). He says it should go through an MOT and he would not bother with UCH repair yet, unless other things start to play up.

I have learnt alot but he has learn even more!! he does not normally do electrical things, more engine suspension etc.

I like my car it has the glass roof, so I do not want to get rid of it. its first time i had anything like this with it..

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,702 Posts
I am pretty sure that, as long as you have a switch to turn on and off your fog lights and that switch gives indication when they are on, that is all that is required, a git of an MOT chap might question the fact that it is not working off the factory fitted switch, but technically, it functions and gives the correct indication and therefore should allow it

·
40,545 Posts
Thats good then, another 12 months once sorted ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts