Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all , we have irratic idle on our laguna and want to know where the idle control valve is on it, cant find out through the haynes manual, can anyone shed the light>?

thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a laguna estate, 1.6 o2 plate.
we had all valves bent from a premature snap of the cambelt, after sorting ti all and putting it back togther, we had no set idle spped, my hubby took out the trottle body? and cleaned it and then it idled give it a little higher, but now is up and doena nd rough idle.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I take it the car was built in the year 2002 - I live in Northern Ireland and over hear we don'y use thesame registration system.

If it's 2002 year model it doesn't have a idle control valve but many other sensors from which the engine management system gathers information.:)

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
It has a motorised throttle housing, no idle control..

You sure the cam timing is correct?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right been out there again and the hubby wants to ask two things, one is the fuel it has been in there for nearly a year, without being run, would that cause these issues.
two is that when you bring the revs above 1200 it levels the rough idling and seems smoother, however for a mo you remove the foot off the gas it stays ok then drops revs a bit a rough idling again.......but as long as u keep your revs above 1000 it seems to run fine........

ANY CLUES?? and should we drain fuel/?? replace, and what about the filter?

problem is we still have the service and stop light on from the cambelt snapping.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Old fuel can be a bit of a problem but is likley to affect engine at all revs. After replacing the valves etc., and puttting the cylinder head back on was the valve timing set correctly - if you done it correctly you'll know how to check it is OK. Double check all electrical connections to the engine in case one has come adrift or broken. It is also possible you have faulty coils which give similar symtoms to what you describe (do a search on this forum and you'll find many posts relating to coils)
The onboard ECU obviously registered a fault and has not yet been cleared so it's possible the engine is in limp-home mode. If the fault display doesn't clear itself you will need to take it to a garage to be reset.:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi was my partners father that did most of it, so not to sure if there was an easy way we could go back and check??

thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
First thing I would try, is disconnecting the battery for an hour or so, and then reconnecting it. Hopefully, the ecu will relearn everything properly. I had an idling issue on my '97 Laguna after the battery went flat and once again when I changed the battery. Both times, the above method sorted it out.

If I remember correctly, after reconnecting the battery, you need to run the engine on fast idle for about 10 minutes (or go for a spirited drive? :d )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts