Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 62 plate Grand Scenic, 1.6 petrol. A few weeks ago it stalled at a roundabout and an error of "ESC off" came up. It would not restart and this error "ESC off/On" kept appearing. I eventually got it moving, but had to keep it above 2000 rpm otherwise it stalled again.
After that I got battery charging messages, and generally it was starting badly. I then got the "pollution sensor" engine warning, and I took it to a garage who plugged in ODB reader and the error read
"A camshaft position - timing over - advanced or system performance bank 1".
I was told only Renault garage could fix, so its going in today.
That error has come and gone for past 2 weeks, sometimes the car starts great and sometimes its poor. There is a bit of oil by the camshaft sensor but not a lot. The oil in general is not great, bit of residue in the dip stick, which could be cause I dont drive it far everyday.

Any ideas what this could mean, what they need to do to fix, and costs? Thanks

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,749 Posts
It's pointing to a dephaser (camshaft timing solenoid valve )issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
ESC is NOT the escape button, but a more common, Modern affliction.
As you have said, you are only doing short journeys. Therefore your battery NEVER gets fully charged. The Auto STOP / START, which is a stupid emissions reducer, hammers the battery system. So if all your short journeys are in Traffic. It turns itself off, to allow the battery to recover. Hence the ESC / Battery messages. If you can, turn it off permanently, until you've done a decent trip. It may save the planet but not you from the costs of replacement batteries, alternator & Starter motor.
Just my 2d.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,749 Posts
Can they be turned off, sorry just being nosey, didnt think Electronic stability control, (ESC) could be turned off the newer cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
Can they be turned off, sorry just being nosey, didnt think Electronic stability control, (ESC) could be turned off the newer cars.
Ooops, I thought ESC was the Economy Start / Stop.
Can't afford motors THAT new. :frown2:
My Bad. However, in retrospect, it's probably The Auto start / stop vs short trips that's Causing the ESC & Battery nags.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi it doesn't have start/stop so cant be that am afraid.
good old Renault garage have had it for "diagnostic" checks which have gone from £47 to £180 in the space of 2 hours, and they haven't even fixed the problem yet. Could be camshaft sensor, could be solenoid, could be actual camshaft?
Not looking forward to final bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts