Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps,

The wifes Espace has just developed some starting problems..... It won't fire on the first turn (we always let the heater light go out before trying) and sometimes takes 2 or 3 attempts before bursting into life. When it does start, it covers my car in a lovely cloud of diesel smoke...... When the engine is warm, no problem.....
I am guessing that I have a duff glowplug or plugs but I'd of thought that the car would have indicated such an issue on the warning display..... If I do have a duff one, how do you identify which one it is or do you change all four of them.....?
Lastly, I understand this is a ***** of a job..... Should I leave it to my local 'friendly' mechanic.....?

Thanks in advance,

IanM

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi sometimes thay can be hard sometimes to remove but most times are ok the problem is sometime they can swell with heat and cold and when trying to loosen the plug it can shear off resulting in a head off job but as i have already said they remove easy most times i hope this helps all the best Donald.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was this issue ever resolved?
Sounds a bit like my problem, also an Espace 2.2 Dti 2002. Usually starts fine when warm. When cold can take forever, and usually have to resort to using a squirt of easy start. It also occasionally cuts out when idlling in traffic.
I've had a recent service including new glow plugs, new air filters, new AGR valve and pipes cleared out of soot. The mechanic I use (a good one!) has now given up.
Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mt 1998 2.2 DT Espace has started to give problems starting in the morning,,.I went out and got Glow plugs ready to change them......Noticed a rubber hand pump near the diesel filter,...a bleeding or priming valve i guess,..Anyway I gave this a few pumps and the car started first turn,..Interesting,..So I'm thinking the problem is elsewhere,..In the Diesel direction,..Could be Air problem...Pump Problem,....etc......

Any Ideas,....????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts