Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a scenic 2005 1.6 please can anyone advise, august 2010 had one coil pack replaced car fine. feb 2011 similar problem had remaining 3 coils replaced and all sparkplugs at the same time, the next morning to it took 20+ attempts to start the car after parking the car for 2 hours it took 3 attempts to start. each morning it takes a long time to start but not so bad after that. the starter motor is turning over o.k. the garage said it had nothing to do with the coils and plugs and suggested it may be the crankshaft sensor but reading other threads it seems if it was the sensor then the problem would be the same whether the engine was warm or cold .when the car is running it does not stall, could the problem be the plugs they have used. any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Without knowing the exact type of spark plug is fitted it would be hard to tell if it was a spark plug problem.
A faulty TDC sensor is a very common problem so it would be worth checking that aspect.
One other possibility is a faulty coolant sensor whereby the ECU thinks the engine us always warm.
If it were mine I would definitely check the TDC sensor.:)

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hello,

a faulty TDC sensor would affect the car starting, but it usually affects hot starting, but check it out anyway. Other then that it could be a faulty crankshaft sensor. Does the car start lazy by any chance and do you get a grinding type sound on start up.

Harry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from what i have read in other threads the tdc is renaults name for the crankshaft sensor, so they appear to be the same thing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes as it could be either sensor the cam sensor looks easier to start with, but i will probably try some good quality plugs first as the problem only arose after the coils and plugs were replaced

1 - 6 of 6 Posts