Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - apologies if there is already a thread out there with a similar problem - I did read a few but none were quite the same.

I drive a 1.9Tdi Clio which seems to have developed a problem starting.

It seems to warm up OK but then turns over and over before starting with a big plume of smoke from the exhaust.

If left about and hour it will start again no probs but leave it 3 or more hours and it will be back to turning over and over before starting. This is not weather dependant.

I thought it was maybe the plugs but changed them and it made no difference.

Could it be a fuel problem? Maybe a blockage or a leaking non-return valve?

Further to this the engine warning light comes on when I am driving - it tends to be around the 80mph mark - any ideas or do I need to get it checked out at a garage?

Can anyone recommend a good independant garage who can do so near Preston (Lancs)?

Sorry for all the Qs!!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Kazz - a bit more info., would be helpful. Is the car diesel or petrol and what engine is it and also what year.:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Kazzama sounds like its struggling to start cold once its warmed up its ok, you say you've checked the glow plugs how old is the battery it could be tired and just not giving enough to the plugs, I would get the battery checked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My other half drained the battery trying to start it the other morning so I got a friend round to jump start it but to no avail.

I took the battery off and gave it a charge for a couple of hours - it started right away when I put the battery back on.

That was yesterday - today when I tried to start the car it was having great difficulty but got there in the end with a nice cloud of smoke.

Any ideas?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Kazz - get the battery and alternator checked - looks like the battery is holding charge or isn't being recharged. Many battery suppliers will carry out a free check in the hope of a sale.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The saga continues - I took the battery off and tried to charge it over night - it did not take on a full charge.
So I took it to the garage who tested it and confirmed the battery was knackered so I bought a new one.

I tried to start it today and I still have the same problem with starting the car.

So I think it is time to get in the professionals - can anyone recommend a reliable garage who can do diagnostics in or around Preston?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn't get it checked but will do. Would that make the heater light come on when driving the car hard too?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts