Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help recently purchased renault megane scenic R reg . Had to spend £260 to get it through its m.o.t. And now when i am turning left or right i can hear a continous popping sound.In the garage to pass the m.o.t. i was told it would have to have cv joint and track rod end which was done anyone any ideas as to what this could be .I feel as though i have bought a duff car also i cannot even get any music on in the car.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi there, if you hadn't already had your CV joints replaced then that's what I would've said is your problem. What can you feel through the steering wheel when this knocking occurs?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I would guess that you had the CV gaiters replaced as part of the MOT,and as Marty says it sounds like a worn joint thats causing your noise.I suspect the gaiter had split and the grease had leaked out causing the joint to run dry and wear prematurely.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I suspect that the CV joints will bulit into the driveshaft,so you would need a complete shaft.I suspect that if it's the nearside shaft that needs doing you'll be looking at £150 in total to do the job.If it's the offside one,which is longer,then you'll be looking at £200,or there abouts.Thats using aftermarket parts and an independant garage.You could source a second hand shaft,but you always take a chance as to the condition of the replacement.:)

The car is safe to drive,but I would get it sorted as soon as you can as the joint will gradually break up and you'll lose drive.....

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts