Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

Registered
Good thought to go back to some clean sheet thinking ..... but was the car working before you started this procedure, or were you trying to program another key because the first one had a problem?
It would be an unfortunate co-incidence if some fault has occurred just as you tried to do the key code. - I'd still think it was connected. But maybe not as drastically as you were thinking.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the input Dancingdad.
As I said, key in slot 1/ steering wheel unlocks 2/dash lights come on including the glow plug light 3/lights extinguish after self test leaving the engine light and the coolant temp. light. 4/if you press the start button on its own you get message "PRESS BRAKE+START"
As there is no information in the book would you know if the starter solenoid is in the engine bay of glove box fuse boards.

ClioAutomatic
Yes this did happen after I tried to code a new key, but I did not go through with the procedure as the message on the screen was not what I was expecting. Therefore I followed the prompts to exit. So don't Know.
I will do as Dancingdad suggests and go back to basics. Bit reluctant to go back outside at the moment due to howling wind and -4 wind chill.馃ザ

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #23
Just as an after thought question, is there anyway to stop the ignition (key position 2 on barrel types) from timing out when you have the key card inserted. It makes fault finding very difficult as you have to constantly take the card and and put it back in.

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
ITS all coming out now, you tart thats why you failed
Out of gear, unlock the car using the button on the fob ( Dont miss this step out, even if car seems open)
Insert card, Press and hold the start button until all the dash lights up.
You now have a hour, .

When finished PRESS stop button twice quickly to switch after ignition back OFF ( dont miss this out , flat battery will follow if you do )

Reactions: Andrew Capp

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
You Bakewell then
Meant put, feet OFF pedals

Reactions: Andrew Capp

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #31
Just been back outside and have tested every fuse and relay I could find in both fuse panels, all OK. The clicking relay is the bottom right on the passenger fuse panel (see photo) That is working fine. According to the diagram in the Haynes manual there should be two relays for the starting circuit but does not say where. I have checked all the relays so that should not matter. When the start button is pressed there is no power to the starter solenoid. Have checked for faulty earth return that also appears OK.
I have found something that I had not noticed before, I have no exterior lights. No headlight or indicators, ignition on or off. However I do have hazards and reverse lights.
Does that ring a bell with anyone.
IMG_20210215_100235[1].jpg

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
Still saying a fuse to me.....
What have you got on the battery positive terminal?
Older vehicles had a red box with fuses in it....didn't look like fuses but are.
Newer ones may not but will have fuses directly after the battery, just not sure what you will have.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for the input Dancingdad.
Nothing on the battery positive, just the two cables going into the main loom (see photo)
Photo also of the engine bay fuse panel. There are some large connections at the side of the passenger side fuse panel, which I think are just connectors see photo.
IMG_20210215_133422[1].jpg IMG_20210215_133440[1].jpg IMG_20210215_133509[1].jpg
Can't believe Renault no longer give information regarding fuses and relays either in the owners manual or the cover of the panels.

What's that black thing in the first picture?
Red wire in and red wire out but what is in between?

BTW, probably nothing to do with it but that battery positive terminal clamp may not be tight?
See the split on one side and that there is no gap?
With a tapered post, when tight there should be a gap else the clamp may be tight on itself and not the post.
Loosen, twist and push down, tighten.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #36
Black thing in first picture is a fuse, the wire is the positive side of a pair of fly leads for an intelligent ctek type maintenance charger. The other end connects to the charger and has a seal on the connection when not in use.
Clamp on battery post is very tight will not move. I think the lead on the clamp has just compressed over time. Could probably do with taking a bit out so that it grips a bit better.
If I took a fly lead to the starter solenoid to see if will start would that cause any damage to the electronics. Have done it on older cars but nothing like this.

If I took a fly lead to the starter solenoid to see if will start would that cause any damage to the electronics. Have done it on older cars but nothing like this.
Can't see it doing any damage but possibly will only prove the thing can crank over.

I am gettng frustrated here, as you must be.
I know exactly what fusing system I want to check but fecked if I can find what is on a Mk4 Clio.
Earlier ones had a red box (some were grey) with fuse links in.
Mk3s seem to have a fused terminal clamp.
Mk5s have a bank of fuses in a black "strip"... alongside the battery.

Anyone have any idea?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #38
I am surprised at how much battery drain there is when the ignition is on. I was warned by 'ours' but I thought he meant if left for long periods. Have only had it on and off occasionally today, didn't need the hour long fix. Checked the battery this afternoon 12.3v, put the card in the slot for ignition 11.6v :eek:
I would normally only expect that whilst the engine is cranking.
Battery now on charge again with AGM charger.
Apart from nothing to the starter, I have no exterior lights including DRL's, no brake light but reversing light ok.
Tried again with the hand book for fuses but it shows no resemblance to what's on the car. Don't know why Renault bothered as it serves only to confuse. Anyway I have already checked all the fuses I could find.

Registered
Not sure if the "no lights" thing is at all significant. With some cars those items all activate once the engine's started, not necessarily just on ignition. And it's normal for hazards to be activated/powered all the time (including when the ignition is off - for obvious reasons).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #40
Should be able to switch on side lights with out ignition. Should be able to switch on all lights including indicates with ignition in position 2 with out engine.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts