Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that are not aware, tonight the Moon will be 30,000 miles closer to Earth. This is the closest it has been within the last 18 years. Some may believe it has had significant effects on Earth with regards to tidal movements and also had some part to play in the earthquakes which have hit in the last few months! I'll leave that for you to decide but it is scientifically proven that, not only does the Moons gravitational pull on Earth cause the tidal actions we see but also has a similar effect on Earths crust....food for thought in light of recent activity :(

Anyway, here's a couple of shots of the Moon that I have taken tonight. They were taken with an entry level Sony A200 using a Sony 75-300 lens with a 1/4000 shutter;

Uncropped

Cropped

P

·
0 Posts
OK...here you go :)

I used a casio EX-Z55 compact camera.........oh and some blokes ruddy great telescope :d

I took one of Saturn too ;)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great shot but did you take that tonight Pat?? Full moon tonight!!

My eldest has a telescope but it's not really the sort that you can utilise for camera shots unfortunately. Next on my shopping list is a decent telescope although we seem to have such hit and miss clear nights down here of late, when ever there is anything worthwhile of noting, the ruddy cloud cover spoils it :rolleyes:

P

·
0 Posts
No Scatz :eek:....I was in Arizona at the time, and it was still daylight.

That's the trouble in the UK, and the light pollution doesn't help either

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Supermoon has just flown past our house wearing a cape.....at least thats what the Geordie staying in our spare room told me.

I'll get me coat...:eek:

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Scatz :eek:....I was in Arizona at the time, and it was still daylight.

That's the trouble in the UK, and the light pollution doesn't help either
Nevertheless, fantastic shot Pat :)

Supermoon has just flown past our house wearing a cape.....at least thats what the Geordie staying in our spare room told me.

I'll get me coat...:eek:
:rofl:.....I think!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Nice work, scatz & Pat.w :)

I was trying my hand at a bit of astrophotography but not having much luck. First I tried my flatmates a330 w/Tamron 70-300 which is rather too dim for this sort of thing (f5.6) at 300mm, plus the combo was too unstable for my tripod and I was getting massively blurry images on relatively short exposures, tried higher sensitivity but the CCD in the poor Sony just can't cope with more than ISO800-equivalent without giving me a grainy mess. I got some 'interesting' shots with my D90 but since I only have the kit lens with a 105mm telephoto reach, I was locking the shutter and doing multi-minute exposures to get some cool star trails in the end :p

I think maybe I need to make a telescope mount for one of my compact cameras instead...

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, can't understand that then Az as my camera is slightly lower spec than the A300!

Some more info;

Sony 75-300
F4.5
ISO-Auto

That's the settings for the previous shots!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Mmmh....what moon?,we couldn't see anything..well so my daughter told us as she was waiting for it to appear herself,ah well,

Cheers Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, can't understand that then Az as my camera is slightly lower spec than the A300!

Some more info;

Sony 75-300
F4.5
ISO-Auto

That's the settings for the previous shots!
The A200 is still a fantastic camera, I tend to find that some compacts do offer great shots like this but are not comparable to wide focal shots. Loved it so much I bought an A500

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I had some beauties :rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you haven't already guessed, all hand held & in B/W all untouched straight out of the camera using a 300mm T/P

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
Nice shots Hondo was it travelling at speed when you took them ??or was that the shuttle trying to land:d:d next months photo theme may be THE MOON???:cool::d

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
:eek: The problem came about because I'd set the camera to manual control WITHOUT looking after taking a few pics which forced me to LOOK I'd previously set the manual control @ f5.6 with the shutter locked on :censored: 30 seconds. :crazy:

But my excuse is the moon kept dodging about. :d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts