Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what happened in our area this morning. Myself and all my family were affected even though there is a five mile gap between myself and them.

Even now mum has no electricity supply or even landline working, and her foster son had to stay off school due to them not being able to open the building (electric shutters!)

BBC NEWS | England | Merseyside | Sub-station explosion cuts power

I hope its not down to vandalism :eek:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi thats:crazy: it makes you think what would we all do without power,we had one in the winter one morning and the daughter could not use her strainers!!well did she go off on one,i hide in the bed room untill she had to leave for the bus,it probely will be vandels shocking but hay thats the life we all live in its not right but hay what do you do.

S

·
0 Posts
Blimey! It's pretty rare to experience a power cut nowadays. Do you remember the early 70s Andrea (pre-Lambrini for you presumably)? We used to get LOADS of power cuts in Stockport - I remember 'em clearly. Well, not clearly, clearly, cos' it was, like, er, dark....

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blimey! It's pretty rare to experience a power cut nowadays. Do you remember the early 70s Andrea (pre-Lambrini for you presumably)? We used to get LOADS of power cuts in Stockport - I remember 'em clearly. Well, not clearly, clearly, cos' it was, like, er, dark....
Pre-life for me actually ;) :p

Its like a blast from the past. Some of our clinics nearer to it are still without power (no doubt they'll get sent home! :rolleyes: )

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
As a kid we used to get them every winter, living in country, overhead power cables and heavy snow, I could work out what would happen at 16 but not the power company. Of course we had no gas either, so that meant no heat. We used to always have candles around and a camping stove to cook on.
Its matbe just Scotland then we still have alot of overhead power cables but there is alot of work going on round about my way that its turning to under ground cable so no power cuts this winter:d

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Consumers who live out in the sticks will get more power interruptions, it is normaly overhead powerlines that supply them, which are exposed to the weather, we do get a fair amount of trees causing faults in high winds, plus you get the odd large bird (swan or canadian geese) that fly into the line's, squirrel's and rats do their fair share aswell.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
We had one for 36hrs earlier this year, was nightmare, makes you realise how much you depend on electric

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Powercuts? We get one about every 1-2 months on Anglesey, they are usually caused by large birds shorting out the exposed live wires, the electricity automatically cuts off then switches back on again in ten seconds after the charred carcass has dropped off.

Then I have to go round setting clocks and timer switches.

Now and again we get longer ones if there has been storms, half our village had no power for 3 days, we only lost power for 18 hours. We have a gas fire and a camping stove and light on standby plus some oil lamps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ug powercuts suck!We had one for about 48hours a couple of months ago. Worst thing was we kept getting momentary glimpses of power back and everytime that happened our house alarm went off. So we were up and down all night turning it off..nightmare!!

Hope it's sorted for you now!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I can remember the power cuts in the seventies, they were usually notified in advance (for example, from 7pm until 9pm at night). First it was the coal miners who were striking causing supply shortages at the power stations, then (after the wage demands were settled), the power station employees started striking (and so on, and so forth).

I can clearly recall my Father setting up a car battery and inspection lamp in the loo (some jobs you need to have good visibility);) .

Its funny how I can look back and laugh - I didn't think much of it at the time.

Paul:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts