Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have used this forum many times but have not posted anything until now. I have a 2005 Scenic II 1.9DCI (130bhp). I recently noticed the sound of an air leak to the nearside of the engine bay and there was also a loss of power. After a couple of miles the sound went away and the power returned. Over the last couple of days though the sound of the air leak has returned and again there has been a distinct loss of power. This has been the case for a couple of days now. Any thoughts ?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,415 Posts
Possibly one of the pipes from turbo to inter cooler or inter cooler it's self see if you can pinpoint the noise it may just be a loose jubilee clip or a blown seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. When I got in the car this morning the problem was still there and also a fault displayed "degenerate fap". The car was sluggish for a couple of miles on the motorway then the noise went and the power came back. After half hour or so the fault displayed disappeared. Am at a total loss to know what's wrong now - Liverpool to Sheffield and back today with no problem !

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,415 Posts
It sounds like your car as the dreaded particle filter fitted, what is supposed to happen is that it self cleans every so often, it should be in your owners book or search it on this forum, basically when the light comes on you are supposed to drive the car for a time at a steady speed or above a speed I cant remember exactly and this allows it to self clean but others have had problems with them so do a search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem back in march. A loud hissing noise at back of engine. Turned out to be blocked Particle filter and a split pipe. A new filter and pipe and £470 later problem dissapeared and was running well again until 2 months later when I started getting the clear particle filter warning displayed. I think a visit back to the garage is in order when i get time.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
This is a problem with diesel cars fitted with a FAP (particle filter) system. When the filter gets near blocked you have to regenerate it, best way to do this is to take it onto a motorway/dual carriageway and drive at approx 45-50mph in 3rd gear for quite a few miles. This will allow the system to generate the heat to burn the soot particles off and restore performance. You can do a partial regeneration with the vehicle stationary by putting it into regen mode using the diagnostic equipment but its not something i'd recommend, I've seen 2 cars go up in flames because of the heat generated and no cooling air from the forward motion. :eek:

Reactions: andyrooy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.