Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, putting this on a thread of it's own as no response to one which cropped up in search.

My 02 Scenic 1.9 Dti has started losing power as I drive. Only briefly, when it happens the engine management/coil light comes on.

99% of my driving is on motorways, it's done 47,000 miles and it is usually when a change of speed happens. Slowing down and very occasionallly when I go to overtake. Not a fun thing to happen.

It goes very quickly and dosen't happen very often. Usually once on my journey to work, Glasgow to Perth and sometimes never.

It is due an oil change and possibly the cambelt. Having to wait for both as maternity pay really biting now. :(

Any advice would be great before taking it in to garage. I like to be prepared.

·
Registered
10 Posts
this might be usefull

Hi there

I had very similar thing with my scenic (1.4 petrol) occationally it would lose power chug etc, turned out it was the coils that were the problem, replaced them and been fine since. hope thats a help

les

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply and I've seen a lot of posts about the coils in petrol engines, but I think I'm right in saying the diesel coils are a very different beast.

Petrol ones are all about helping providing a spark and have been a source of frustration for many Renault owners, the diesel ones heat the diesel and thankfully don't seem to be a regular fault on the engine.

The closest problem I have found is something to do with the egr valve or even having to reprogram the ecu.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
There's no coils on the diesel engine, and they don't operate the way that the glow plugs do anyway, they provide the HT voltage - you're getting confused with spark plugs :) which are also nothing like glow plugs. I'm digressing off the issue but the spark plug ignites the fuel/air mixture whereas the deisel/air mixture combusts due to the intense heat generated by compression in the cylinder - the glow plug is to aid this process from a cold start but they're not really used anymore unless the temp is way below freezing now, because of the pressures employed by the common rail a much higher compression can be acheived so combustion is inevitible really - which is why you can start your car straight away like a petrol model, no more waiting for plugs to heat (shown by a coil symbol on the dash when heating - or limping home)

Anyway, back to your problem - could be an injector fault, you could try some injector cleaner and see if things improve, could be a number of other possibles as well though but given the infrequency I'd start with the cleaner, could be a dirty fuel filter.

Unlikely the EGR though due to the engine management light coming on, and if it was that bad one minute then it would be bad all the time, maybe to a lesser degree but not itermittently bad one minute and fine the next - I wouldn't have thought so anyway - unless what you call 'normal' is already poor.

There may be a sensor problem, you'd need someone to look at it though and see if any error codes are stored, I think they are if they've been generated so that should be a clue, but it aint free and it aint always helpful.

My personal advice though would be to park the car, go into the house, pour a large bacardi and coke, sit infront of the telly in just your pants and pretend that all is well in the world, meantime someone who really knows what they're talking about will hopefully answer your question more thoroughly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Schmooster! I knew diesel was all about compression in some form and that's a great explanation, thanks.

Is it complex using injector cleaner? Or is it an additive to the fuel? I think it is due a few new parts and one could be a fuel filter. I wish I was more able to do these things myself, hate to think what a garage will charge for this stuff.

Oil change, oil and air filter is due as well as cambelt, 5 years old and done 47k.

Anyone want to buy a kidney?

(off to find sofa to sit on in pants)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Quick update and the mystery deepens.

Timing belt kit fitted and oil changed for synthetic reccomended by Renault but all done at nice independant in Perth.

They have investigated the strangeness of the power loss and nothing conclusive. They even sent it at their expense to the main dealer to get diagnostics done.

It's still doing it but no errors are appearing in the log!

It's very specific now, it's 60mph but not at 70mph. Only happens when you lift off the power and cruise. So a trip to Wales had no problems but my trip to work and lots of queuing traffic means i do these speeds more often.

They can't replicate it but it's so specific I'm not surprised.

Any ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
possibly EGR

Hi, I have had the same with my 1.9Dci megane, usually when driving up a long hill on the A55 across north wales. The turbo cuts out as the light comes on, and it seems to do it most in the cold weather, and when I was regulary cruising on the motorway each week. Since doing more general driving it happens less. Apparently cruising causes a build up of depositis, so if you give it some welly occasionally it helps clean out the pipes somewhat. Most of the posts when I last investigated this suggested cleaning the EGR. There was a great detailed post about it too complete with photos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
EGR/Glow plugs

Hi, just had a similar problem with my laguna. Engine mgt light and glow plug lights on and now power! Swaped out the old EGR valve which was completely shot and one of the plugs wasn't working.

Now runs fine but the Turbo isn't as good and now the coil light is back on, had it traced and the error code is either 108/109 c. basically that there is an open circuit on the egr bit but the sparky couldnt find it, he had checked the area where it should be.

So anyway car runs fine but i just have a short some where: so hope the info helps and if any one can help me I'd be grateful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts