Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed a rather strange (to me) noise when turning the steering wheel.

It appears to happen when I turn the steering wheel about 10-15 degrees either way and 10-15 degrees after each full turn of the wheel.

It sounds like someone is, for want of a better description, thumping an oil drum with a padded object!

I have speed sensitive power steering just in case it makes a difference.

Any pointers would be a great help and please reply in dumb-ass language as I would make the worst mechanic ever. :eek:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would I check that Chris? As I mentioned, I'm rather crap at this sort of thing. For instance, where would I look?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice one Chris, I'll check that out tomorrow although I don't think that would be the problem as the noise I hear sounds as though it's coming from directly infront of me somewhere down the steering rod itself.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I checked the track rod end/ball joints and nothing seems to be the matter there:)

I did, however, notice today (only because I wasn't blasting my eardrums with music) that there is a very slight groaning when I move slowly and turn the wheel. Does this enlighten anyone to the possible problem:confused:

The steering works absolutely as it should do (at the moment) and there is no loss to the power steering fluid. It's more of a niggle at the moment but I am wondering whether it will change for the worse if nothing is done about it:(

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Possibly, it's all interconnected and the steering geometry will change as you turn putting more or less pressure on the shocks. Also inside the bonnet the rubber top mounts for the shocks can groan at times, at light spray lube can help there.
My PS does not tend to make any untoward noises. Just the rest of the heap does.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi cerberus,

No, is the simple answer. I really don't have a clue when it comes to things of this nature, or any other for that matter:eek:

I shall wait until I have some spare cash :rolleyes: and take it to the garage to see what they say.

The groaning may have something to do with the fact that I need discs and pads all round so I shall wait and see if that noise disappears when I have had done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have a banging noise when I turn the wheel. Just had a mechanic look at it at our Garage and he says the steering rack is shot!!! 38,000mls, is this normal and will I get it fixed under warranty? This is the latest in a long line of faults on my Megraine opps megane

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I also have a banging noise when I turn the wheel. Just had a mechanic look at it at our Garage and he says the steering rack is shot!!! 38,000mls, is this normal and will I get it fixed under warranty? This is the latest in a long line of faults on my Megraine opps megane
Hi nothil,

Have you recently had your tracking done:confused:

Reason I ask is because I took mine into the local independant garage today regarding the noise I have coming through my steering wheel. He had a good look arround the front wheels etc. and asked if I had had the tracking done recently. When I asked why, he said that sometimes when the tracking is re-done the bushes may have been knocked out of position and need to wear in again and that if this was the cause the noise should dissappear on its own:confused: . I wouldn't know if the tracking had been done on mine as I've only owned it for about a month.

Does this sound right to anyone:confused:

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like the upper mounting plate (plus rubber) and/or bearing is groaning or maybe seized.:)
What upper mounting plate are we talking about here madnoel:confused:

Please remember I am mechanically useless, well, at pinpointing things that is! Once pinpointed I can usually put my hand to most things, I mean you gotta at least try haven't you:) .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All
Re Steering noise.
Just had Renault on phone to say they have checked over car and they tell us it is not the steering rack that is the problem that is causing the banging noise when turning the wheel or the erratic steering, but it needs a modification to the steering column has anyone else experienced the same with their car? 54 Plate 1.9Dci Megane Sport Tourer. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if the Laguna top strut mount is similar to the Megane but the Megane top mounts fail which causes the front springs to "wind up" as the steering is turned - the noise is caused when the spring/mounts eventually turn. Good top mounts have a bearing which allows everything to rotate smoothly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts