Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2003 2.0IDE Laguna Sports Tourer Initialle, It seems to be leaking fluid from the top of the Power Steering filler/reservoir, I have checked the level and it is fine (i.e. not over filled), I have only had the car 2 weeks and know little about it, may it be something to do with the steering rack? Any help will be more than welcome.

Thanks Stevo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes I did buy it from a garage, and I will get it sorted under warranty, just wondered if it was something simple that I could repair myself without having to go throught the whole process of going back to the garage and so on. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Probably should see the garage.

However mine was leaking on hot days or after some use. The resevoir was at the maximum, but did expand to the edge of the filler neck . When I took the cap off I noticed a groove (slot) in the thread. With the cap put on and the writing on the cap so you could read it the slot was at the top (inclined filler) - and the cap not overtightened it has stopped leaking since. Don't know if your cap is the same as mine.

If you are looking at the cap do not get any brake fluid over the car especially paint work and don,t let any dirt get into the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Apologies - read your thread again (properly) - Power Steering not brake fluid - probably totally different scenario.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you tried bleeding the system? Tis bloomin' easy and I'll tell ya how! Start the engine and remove the power steering fluid cap. Get a willing volunteer (Often referred to at the wife) to gently move the steering left to right a good ten times. If you see bubbles then you've got air in your system. Keep doing until they go. If they don't go, then its getting in from somewhere. Again, this is not too difficult to trace. Look down the driver's side od the engine bay. You'll see a double union just below the steering knuckle. You'll soon see if fluid has come out of these. If no, then look at the power steering pump. This is at the front of the engine, near to the reservoir. If still no joy, then pop off the back trim surrounding the front valence and the reservoir. This is done by removing the plastic screw, pushing forward the clips and lifting the two out. You will now see two shrouded rubber hoses coming our of the reservoir. Check these for kinks or cracks. Let us know how you get on. If so, can ya give us a rating. ta. Lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts