Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a problem with my steering wheel. It makes a noise, like a creeking noise, when I turn it. I have had a look around and most people say things like, "the power steering fluid is low". I have looked through my Haynes manual and it says I either have power steering or rack and pinion. I know I have power steering, so looked for the power steering fluid container in the car. The book doesn't mention power steering fluid. It only mentions that there is a motor that is a part of the steering column. So could it be the motor or something else. Is there some way to test for these things.
Thanks
Simon
Clio 1.2 2002, Authentique 8v

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,482 Posts
Check Top suspension mounts Simon
Yours is Electric Power Steering, and that's part of the steering column..

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
It sounds as though the noise is coming from the wheel itself? or close to it. I am not sure what I am looking for with the top suspension mounts but I will have a look. Cheers

·
38,482 Posts
Find the steering column two joints one inside the other, and also U joints
Spray all the lower part of the column, just below the motor you will see
You need to remove the cowling, and think a lower panel comes out drivers side.
Get the heating on full, heat/air facing down, spray the joints with white grease, you can buy it in a spray can, you can also use it on your door hinges..
See if its just

if the noise is at the top, then lightly spray with wd40, where the cowling meets the steering wheel...

·
38,482 Posts
Simon... DONT get anything on your rubber pads that fit over the pedals, Cover them all up with paper, old cloths, These are lethal when wet if oil wd40 or grease get on them
(Your feet/shoes will slide off when wet)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts