Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have been back and forth to evans halshaw renault about 4 times with various issues. Most have been resolved but there is an issue with starting the grand scenic at times that is cause issues on the dash a couple of times like brake system fault.
The car was in again recently and i collected Thursday 18th after they charge the battery fully through wednesday night. Ran their diagnostics and apparently everything is fine. Took the car to another garage to perform a battery test, its coming back saying good condition but needs recharged. Is this normal as this has only been 4 days? It wasnt driven friday or saturday but the wife drove it yesterday to a destination just over 4.5 miles and then 4.5 miles back as well as a short trip to the shops.

I am at the end of my tether with them as there is something up with the car that they cannot find. We had the car from September 2018 and only started having problems with it in May 2020. She was arguably using it less than we are now as she was on maternity and was easier to take the twins in the buggy than getting them both in and out of the car. Again, when she did take it, it was only short journeys.

The garage tested the battery on a Midtronics MDX-335P with battery test showing as good, recharge, volts 12,26, measured 487A EN, rating 720A EN. Starter test norma (volts 10,69v)l and charging test OK. volts 14,18.

Can anyone assist and give me a bit of background on the figures above? I just dont see how from May last year the car hasnt had starter problems and its being driven the same way. I tried to look online and do a bit of digging and can see cars might not shut off a particular electronic which may drain the battery? Reluctant to go back to evans halshaw renault until i know bit more as they tried to charge me £264 fr diagnostics last time as the battery isnt covered by the warranty.

Much appreciated,

ryan

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,489 Posts
When you say not starting, is it turning over. I still think a new battery might solve your problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When you say not starting, is it turning over. I still think a new battery might solve your problems
not turning over, just immediately has a warning sound come up, leave it 30 seconds, try again, same thing then same again leave it another 30 seconds until it works, normally the 3rd or 4th attempt it will try and turn over.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,366 Posts
Is the battery the correct size

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the battery the correct size
I would imagine so, it’s the original battery from when registered I believe, certainly since we got the car in September 2018. If it was the incorrect size I would imagine we would have had problems before may 2018.

also, the start stop doesn’t work as there is not enough charge in the battery I imagine. Got the car back thursday night, worked on the drive home all fine. Wasn’t working today when I tested 4 days later. The courtesy car (insignia) was driven less as the wife didn’t like it and when it was, it was only short journeys like the scenic, the start stop was still working 11 days later when I dropped it off.

to me that just doesn’t seem right. I would imagine I could drive the car on the bypass at 60mph for 40 mins which should charge the battery enough fpr the start stop to work? If this doesn’t, do you think the garage would agree there has to be another problem?

thanks, ryan

·
Registered
348 Posts
There's quite a lot of diagnostics you can do as a DIYer with a multimeter (a good one). Like checking voltage and then checking it again after a few hours of non use of the car. Then check drain (current) when it's switched off. These two checks alone could tell you if the battery is nearly dead, or if the car has a short circuit and is draining it.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,366 Posts
I would imagine so, it’s the original battery from when registered I believe, certainly since we got the car in September 2018. If it was the incorrect size I would imagine we would have had problems before may 2018.

also, the start stop doesn’t work as there is not enough charge in the battery I imagine. Got the car back thursday night, worked on the drive home all fine. Wasn’t working today when I tested 4 days later. The courtesy car (insignia) was driven less as the wife didn’t like it and when it was, it was only short journeys like the scenic, the start stop was still working 11 days later when I dropped it off.

to me that just doesn’t seem right. I would imagine I could drive the car on the bypass at 60mph for 40 mins which should charge the battery enough fpr the start stop to work? If this doesn’t, do you think the garage would agree there has to be another problem?

thanks, ryan

I would say that battery has had it

Has the stop start ever worked correctly

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can tell you from my own experience, both renaults I own registered in 2016. They both had an issue where I started the cars and a power steering fault appeared, then instantly disappeared. I also had check stop/start while driving a lot. I lived with it until just recently. I took the batteries off and did a reset as suggested by a member called LvR in another thread. I charged them in my house until full. I checked with my tester to check the voltage output. All good on that front. Connected the batteries back up and followed LvR's advice. Then from there, proceeded to scan for faults and delete them as I knew they were all linked to the batteries being disconnected over night from the cars.

Suffice to say, I've had no issues since with battery related faults. The cars are stop/starting in traffic once all conditions are met. I've since deactivated them as stop/start isn't all it's cracked up to be. Moral of the story, car batteries are a pain in the rear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts