Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

New to the forum but I have a problem that is baffling me so was hoping somebody can relate/knows the problem or solution.

Bought the 1.6 Dynamique Petrol in March with 60k on the clock. Within a month of having the car I got a roller coaster type clicking noise on startup and the car would cut out - as it was in warranty I took the car back and got a new dephaser pulley system, timing belt and water pump on the car. All seemed well and it worked fine until this past week.

The noise seems to have returned. The car will fire up, the clicking noise will kick in and then the car cuts out. Second time it either kicks in fine or I have to just rev the car and then all is fine after around 5 seconds (noise cuts out then and ticks over fine). It only seems to be common when it is cold outside (1 degree this morning).

Is this a common problem that people know a solution for? I aren't car savy so any work that needs doing will involve me taking it to a garage - I just like to sound clued up so I don't get ripped off.

Cheers

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,108 Posts
and

First off 1.6 dynamic WHAT..make and model please..

Water temp sensor might be the problem because it control's all the things like fueling at start up..how good is your battery..might be worth testing that as well..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply. Its a megane 1.6 dynamique Petrol (thats all it seems to say). I have attached a picture of the car for reference. As I mentioned it seems to be a loud clicking noise like a rollercoaster similar to when I previously had the dephaser pulley system done, but surely this should be the problem after 5 months. When I rev the car to stop it from cutting out the clicking noise carries on with it for a few seconds and then seems to cut out and be fine. When it is driving everything is fine as well.

·
23,108 Posts
Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply. Its a megane 1.6 dynamique Petrol (thats all it seems to say). I have attached a picture of the car for reference. As I mentioned it seems to be a loud clicking noise like a rollercoaster similar to when I previously had the dephaser pulley system done, but surely this should be the problem after 5 months. When I rev the car to stop it from cutting out the clicking noise carries on with it for a few seconds and then seems to cut out and be fine. When it is driving everything is fine as well.
View attachment 179824
Always hard to make a complete diagnosis because we are not with the car when you start it so will make a stab at the clicking possibly being a sticking starter motor and still being partially engaged on the starter ring gear before working its way loose..I would suggest you have another person with you when you start the car and you have a listen to see if the noise is coming from the general area of the bell housing/flywheel/starter motor..good luck and hope you sort it..

Car is now added to the bottom of every post you make so that we dont have to ask every time you make a post..🙂

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,760 Posts
If it is the same (and I mean the same) clicking as before when the dephaser was sorted, have to suspect the same.
With it being cold coming into it, what oil is in the beasty?
And what levels.
Not sure what it should be without checking but I would assume a 5w30.
If a heavier oil has been used, it may not be getting where it should, like the dephaser solenoid, on start up.
Theory only.
Other thought is that if the oil is old or low, similar could be happening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Phil

Thats great thank you. I have loaded a video onto youtube of what happened previously and it seems to be similar now. The link is

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is the same (and I mean the same) clicking as before when the dephaser was sorted, have to suspect the same.
With it being cold coming into it, what oil is in the beasty?
And what levels.
Not sure what it should be without checking but I would assume a 5w30.
If a heavier oil has been used, it may not be getting where it should, like the dephaser solenoid, on start up.
Theory only.
Other thought is that if the oil is old or low, similar could be happening.
Thanks. I arent entirely sure what oil is in it at the moment, it was all sorted from the garage when I purchased it. You are correct though it should be a 5w30.

Oil level seems to be fine on the dip stick and on the load up screen. Not sure when the oil was last changed prior to me owning it though so that could be a sticking point.

Thanks

·
23,108 Posts
Hi Phil

Thats great thank you. I have loaded a video onto youtube of what happened previously and it seems to be similar now. The link is

Thanks

Wow to me that is not a dephaser problem..if it was it would be more of a dieseling sound..there is definitely something rubbing somewhere..I think if you can or get some else remove the starter motor and inspect it..once that is out you may also be able to turn the car over by hand and inspect the ring gear for damage..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow to me that is not a dephaser problem..if it was it would be more of a dieseling sound..there is definitely something rubbing somewhere..I think if you can or get some else remove the starter motor and inspect it..once that is out you may also be able to turn the car over by hand and inspect the ring gear for damage..
Ok. I will have to get a garage to look at it probably - unless it is relatively easy to do myself for a rookie?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Id start by measuring oil level (dipstick) and then actual oil pressure (meter plumbed into oil pressure switch port) and see if the noise accompanies low oil pressure.

................. difficult to do or even confirm but what exact oil is in the sump? (xWy and brand)

To me this sounds like hydraulic lifter having collapsed and needs some time to come up to pressure.............. and for giggles I would also not exclude even the new dephaser pulley if its not getting enough oil soon enough

There is surely still some guarantee period left? .................... if so I wouldn't even touch it and take it back to the garage you bought it from bemoaning the return of the exact same noise ........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Id start by measuring oil level (dipstick) and then actual oil pressure (meter plumbed into oil pressure switch port) and see if the noise accompanies low oil pressure.

................. difficult to do or even confirm but what exact oil is in the sump? (xWy and brand)

To me this sounds like hydraulic lifter having collapsed and needs some time to come up to pressure.............. and for giggles I would also not exlude even the new dephaser pulley if its not getting enough oil soon enough
Dip stick seems to be measuring nearly full and the display on the dash shows 2 circles from full so around 3/4 full. As for the oil currently in it I can't say what it is as I haven't had to put any in since purchasing it so I guess it is down to whatever was in there prior to me purchasing it.

Might be related as a small side effect but sometimes the RPM will drop down to around 500rpm and make the car judder a bit but then kicks back up after 1-2 seconds. I ideally dont want it to start getting expensive so as long as its not something major and expensive I can get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Guarantee on the vehicle/work done in the past?

Forget the dash oil level indicator ....................

If the dipstick is showing "nearly" full I would want to see what the oil is like - nice and oily or is it super thin like watery and smelling of petrol?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dephaser pulley etc all has 12 months parts warranty. Just been and checked the dip stick. It doesn't seem to look water or gunky in any way. The dip sticks arent the best in meganes at the best of times are they.
Dip Stick.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I would add some oil till its at the full mark. (FWIW - that oil to me looks really black for a petrol engine that had a dephaser job done 6 months ago where new oil should have been included too - but that's just me being pedantic again)

Anyway - IMO the very next stop is the garage for a guarantee claim on the return of the original and previously reported noise and symptoms..................................

·
22,760 Posts
I'm still on the oil level/quality...them sound like tappets to me.
And agree with LVR, wack it back under warrantee and see what they say.

Also agree that oil looks black.
For what it is worth, with any new (to me) car I change the oil.
That way I know what is in and when, not guessing.

Second FWIIW, two cars I have owned, a Rover SD1 V8 and a Cavalier CD, both got tappety when they wanted oil changing. Didn't matter that it wasn't due, the rattling would start.
The Cav especially sounded a little like yours, just not as bad.

I think it is all related to the oil, not getting to where it should quickly enough on a cold morning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still on the oil level/quality...them sound like tappets to me.
And agree with LVR, wack it back under warrantee and see what they say.

Also agree that oil looks black.
For what it is worth, with any new (to me) car I change the oil.
That way I know what is in and when, not guessing.

Second FWIIW, two cars I have owned, a Rover SD1 V8 and a Cavalier CD, both got tappety when they wanted oil changing. Didn't matter that it wasn't due, the rattling would start.
The Cav especially sounded a little like yours, just not as bad.

I think it is all related to the oil, not getting to where it should quickly enough on a cold morning.
Thank you. I might get it book in to the garage for an oil change and see how it goes. I cant imagine that would be too expensive. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I'd press the guarantee thing personally since you do have it .................... changing oil could possibly give the first garage reason to dispute guarantee if there then still is a problem

·
22,760 Posts
I'd press the guarantee thing personally since you do have it .................... changing oil could possibly give the first garage reason to dispute guarantee if there then still is a problem
Plus 1
They may say it needs an oil change but play dumb, "what, you sold me a car that needed an oil change?"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts