Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 grand scenic 1.5dci.

I changed oil and oil filter on it last week. And then started driving as normal. Suddenly i started to notice that the car was missing power uphill. So i changed gear and it worked. But suddenly i started hear a "rattling"/"knocking" sound from the engine. So i didnt drive any further. Havent had it on workshop, asking here first. Now when i start it it makes the same noise from the engine and it is also a bit squeeking noise. It is just like something in the engine is "dry" and also it is coming white smoke from the exhaust.

So do anyone have a suggestion on what can be wrong? And can i if so fix it myself? Will it be expencive to fix?

If anyone have a link to a video and/or parts i need to fix the problem it would be very much appreciated. Hopefully someone can help me solve the issue.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,452 Posts
Have you checked the oil with the dipstick sounds like there's non in.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,089 Posts
So difficult to diagnose a problem without seeing it but unless you believe in coincidences could you have overlooked something during filter (or oil) change. Prognosis doesn't sound good.

Reactions: Ralph

·
5,452 Posts
Did the oil light go off as usual and stay off it does sound like there's no oil pressure,
I was wondering if the sump plug had come loose and dumped the oil, but you say
its ok, only other thing is could the new filter have a fault highly unlikely but you never
know, what ever it is it's likely done the engine no good at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did the oil light go off as usual and stay off it does sound like there's no oil pressure,
I was wondering if the sump plug had come loose and dumped the oil, but you say
its ok, only other thing is could the new filter have a fault highly unlikely but you never
know, what ever it is it's likely done the engine no good at all.
The oil light goes off like normal and it starts normal. No error lights or anything in the dashboard.

·
5,452 Posts
Odd even if the new filter is blocked in some way I would think there's a bypass valve
that would open so the engine still gets unfiltered oil not sure if the 1.5 has one but would
expect it has, oil pump is likely working if the light is off, but it sounds like the engine is
being starved of oil.
I would not run it long like it is, is there no one local that could have a listen and may
be able to diagnose what is going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odd even if the new filter is blocked in some way I would think there's a bypass valve
that would open so the engine still gets unfiltered oil not sure if the 1.5 has one but would
expect it has, oil pump is likely working if the light is off, but it sounds like the engine is
being starved of oil.
I would not run it long like it is, is there no one local that could have a listen and may
be able to diagnose what is going on.
Do you have a mail adress or something i can send you a video so you can hear the sound of the engine? The video is very dark since i took it when it was dark outside. But you can hear the sound from the engine.

·
5,452 Posts
Best to post it on here then others can hear it

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,465 Posts
post it on ytube then post a link to the video

did you need to take the undershield off
where about is the noise, left right front rear

AND you are sure not too much oil in

have you lifted bonnet and checked you have not damaged a hose, or loosened a hose by the filter housing, as its near the intercooler hoses if memory serves on this engine

Reactions: skippy glen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am thinking it sounds like there is something in the engine that are going dry and not getting oil. I have asked a local workshop what they think it can be just by hearing the sound. And the answer from them about things they think it could be were (excuse my bad english): a clogged oil canal, a valve or a valve lifter.

But i dont know where to start if so if i am going to try and find the fault myself.

·
39,465 Posts
Should be a disposable paper type
You take the top off the housing and fit filter inside

·
39,465 Posts
From the top just in front of the radiator?
Glen could be right here then, , but not sure how you could have smeared oil/grease on the seal if the plastic was left on, or even screwed it in

Reactions: Ralph
1 - 20 of 44 Posts