Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am having probs with my pc. I am using daughters laptop which is using the wireless adsl router. My pc doesnt want to connect to the internet, which is using an ethernet cable from the onboard ethernet port. Although when checking in device manager, it says the card/port:steam: is working correctly i suspect there is something wrong here. Is there a way of checking the port? The message I get is that I have an invalid IP address and it cannot repair it.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
My first suggestion is to make sure you have DHCP enabled:
Control Panel
Network Connections
Choose your connection and select 'properties'
Internet Protocol
Properties (again)
Make sure both options are set to 'automatic'.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Horatio, yeah tried that...all on auto as it should be

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
That's making me suspect a broken cable then. It's possible for the cable to be faulty but for the lights to still look 'connected' on the router.

If you run IPCONFIG -ALL from the command prompt (Start, Run and then type 'CMD' and press Enter) what does it give you as your IP address? If you do the same on your daughter's machine, what IP is it giving you there?

Edit: Subnet mask and gateway would be worth reporting too :)

We'll get there in the end :p

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry Horatio, it flashes too fast on the screen

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If you've got it open in a window, then you should have a scroll bar on the right. You can scroll back and catch the details.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my ip is 169.254.126.170 the subnet mask looks ok also dns server ip's look right, when I look on my daughter laptop it reports ip of 192.168.1.1......my pc doesnt report a lease date though

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
169.254.x.x is the address range that recent versions of Windows default to if they're configured for DHCP but can't see a DHCP server. The idea being that they all pick a random address in that range and, with a bit of luck, can talk to each other. A great idea, but not that handy in the real world.

If your daughter's PC is picking up an address via DHCP, then this is really looking like a faulty cable. Though you could try manually configuring your computer with a fairly high IP in the address range (e.g. 192.168.1.200) and the same subnet and gateway as the working computer. If that still doesn't work, then my money's on a hardware fault. Try a different port on the router, and a different cable if you have one.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll see if I can get another cable tomorrow, I have only got a crossover cable at the mo.....you wouldn't think that i used to be an IT techie would you?

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The cross-over cable's worth a shot. Many routers and switches have auto-uplink sensing these days. :)

Seeing as you used to be an IT Techie, I'll stop telling you how to open a command prompt in Windows :p It's always tricky working out just what level to pitch this kind of help at.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not a problem H...probably forgot more than I knew anyway....will have to hunt in the loft for the cable though

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Horatio, managed to sort it, tried new cable no good, put in new pci ethernet card and all ok now...thanks for ideas. SB I have a Linksys Wireless - G ADSL gateway includes kit for notebooks, modem and router. Have had no probs with the ADSL stuff, only the pc itself which had an onboard ethernet port. I dont normally go for onboard stuff as most often than not it gives up the ghost.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. A faulty network card's not that common, but it does happen.

For SB: Personally, I swear by the Netgear stuff. I wouldn't buy any other brand of router. Linksys is another good name too mind you (It's basically Cisco's budget brand now, and Cisco are arguably the biggest name in commercial grade networking.) Most of the Linksys devices are Linux based and are 'hackable' to do all kinds of crazy stuff. Not that you'll be taking advantage of that. The only down-side with the Linksys is that they're not compatible with NDAS network attached storage devices. But if you're not using those (and I'm sure you're not) then you should be fine.

Of the brands I've actually tried, the only one I've really had any problems with is Belkin. I have a wireless print server of theirs that's supposed to support WPA but doesn't (a known firmware bug) and I've had a wireless network card of theirs that just wouldn't work at all. That said, I know someone who bought a router of theirs, and it was competently designed and worked flawlessly. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Agree with Horatio SB mine is Netgear and has so far been troublefree, it does my laptop and my daughters desktop upstairs, and when my son is home it does his hand held thingy and his x-box:)

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does seem that you will need to purchase the card separately, thats an added cost. I see you can get both for around £62

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The DG834G's the one I've got, and I have nothing but praise for it.

If you already have wireless built into the laptop, then it should work fine with that. If not, then Netgear often bundle their routers with a wireless adapter for less than the price of buying them separately.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
The DG834G's the one I've got, and I have nothing but praise for it.

If you already have wireless built into the laptop, then it should work fine with that. If not, then Netgear often bundle their routers with a wireless adapter for less than the price of buying them separately.
Hurrah - i have wireless built in, so should it buy it dave?? i'm yearning for the time when i can surf in bed again :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts