Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to see how car design has developed in the last decade and I will start by comparing my last two cars a Scenic 2011 and a Captur 2017
  1. One has storage panels everywhere - I couldn't even fill them all. The other has none apart from the passenger glove compartment and a dashboard top storage unit which won't even hold my sunglasses.
  2. One has a handy and indiscreet USB connection to the audio system - the other has it at the top of the radio so cables go everywhere
  3. One has an instrument panel where I could change the language myself - the other needs an expensive visit to the dealer
  4. One has a radio encoded to the VIN - the other needs a code number which is never provided with the car (where I live)
  5. On one you can listen to the radio for six minutes after turning off the engine - the other only 30 secs
  6. One has a proper TomTom satnav which is the industry standard for car route mapping - the other has some crappy Renault system that can't even get me home, even after an expensive update
  7. One has a responsive media entertainment and satnav system - the other has a Windows CE based snail machine that takes 30 minutes to update and warns you not to turn off the engine while doing so (Yes thirty minutes on idle while updating).
  8. One one car I can adjust the volume of the parking sensors, or even turn them off. On the other all I have is a tinny squeak so low in volume that I can't hear it (i'm nearly 71 and going deaf to these frequencies)
You would expect all the improvements to be in the newer Captur wouldn't you but that is not the case for any of them. Having said that I do like the car.
Come on Renault!! - you could do all this ten years ago so there is nothing new to learn.

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,360 Posts
Will agree here 2 dogs..going backwards seem the way to go now while the only thing that goes up is the price..wish things could go back to those days when we didnt have electronics.. chips.. and canbus..even so and while I was tempted to buy vintage when getting the venga I didnt..Jeezz I had a double post so looks like renaultforums has as many bugs as the cars..

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Hi

I quite agree

I updated my Mk II Megane to a Mk IV, less storage holes, door that lock as soon as the key holder gets out (grr) narrower boot, no spare wheel, jack or brace, warning lights that come on with little or no info, radio that cannot hold a station and goes quiet if the signal isn't perfect. (traveling same route to / from work as per the last 25 years).
Newer cars not always better than the ones they are replacing, just different.

Al

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,587 Posts
yes they have less but less to go wrong ;) when they get it right we will all be going electric then you can all panic so lots to learn yet boys and girls

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a first electric vehicle in the eighties - a modified transit. Van of the future they said….. in five years everyone will be driving them. Ha Ha. That was over thirty years ago and the technology is still just around the corner. Need a few more nuclear power plants first.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,025 Posts
And Lithium ,

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,025 Posts
Thans, that's so reassuring

1 - 10 of 10 Posts