Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all
Sorry, didn’t mean to post images above before typing! Am new to this.
I know it’s probably been covered a hundred times but I need help!
We have a little 1.5dci 2005 clio as a run around, and a new kadjar.
the clio sometimes drips water on my knee. It comes from above the drivers head area, sometimes a few drops come out of the lights on the ceiling by the windscreen but usually it drips to the top right of the windscreen. The pic shows the water marks on the headlining cloth.
It’s never been a major issue as we only use the car for me to commute 15 miles a day to work and tip runs etc. But today, after not using it for 3 days, there is a huge puddle in the back!

ive read about scuttle panels etc but the only area I can see water entering is as above - top right of the windscreen area - which is strangely dry today! Must be coming in somewhere else??
Many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sunroof seems fine. The roof lining is bone dry today which is odd as a lot of water has clearly come in from somewhere

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,622 Posts
Classic issue.
Very much surprised if the sunroof drains are not blocked.
Corners of the sunroof, IIRC one front one back.
Pipes from them go down the A and C pillars.
Curtain wire reported as being effective to clear them but have a search on here and google for more details

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sealed the sunroof closed last winter as I had a few drips but nothing in the way of a puddle. Probably an amateur mistake but used clear silicon and it’s water tight - or so I thought. Is it worth taking the sealant off and trying to clear the drains with curtain wire? Or could it be entering elsewhere

·
22,622 Posts
Hmmmm, simple answer is dunno.
I've had sealant fail, I'm sure many have had bad experiences with splashbacks, bath and shower seals.
Whether yours is doing its job ???
If it isn't, comes back to drains and it may be the silicon that is blocking them?

In general terms any break in the skin of the roof or bodyshell can let in water.
Aerial, GPS aerial, door seals, windscreen seals etc etc.
Comes down to a process of elimination and what can happen.

A leak at the bottom of a door seal will not get water into the roof lining, gravity alone stops all but maybe some capillary action. But maybe has let water into the footwell.
A leak as top of door seal, unlikely, it still has to travel uphill. But downhill is the footwell.
Door drains and cill drains can let water into the cabin.
Scuttle drains... don't think that is the case here but you ought to be aware of them and the issues they can cause.
Top of windscreen, possible that it is being driven in by wind and then travelling length of roof lining till it finds a weak point.
All simply possible scenarios, none may be happening.
But something is.
We do know that Clio Sunroofs are notorious for letting puddles into the cabin.
And the roof lining being wet is a major if not definitive clue.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
There are probably slots behind a rubber seal. Peel back the seal and poke out the slots with a wire. Have a good clean of the seal and around- you'd be surprised how mucky it gets down there.

·
22,622 Posts
As Spacey says, look under the door.
If it persists in filling up or the slots aren't draining, may need to remove door card and plastic sheet and have a clean from inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
underneath the car. Discovered this. Wet patch is the bottom of the sill. Also very wet around this rubber bung
A8AC3492-9F16-469A-A9BB-C635EDA391AA.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts