Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the engine used in the laguna II V6 (L7X)
is the same as used in the peugeot 406 V6, and maybe some citroen V6 models.
I ask because you can get new parts off auction site's genuine peugeot or citroen for a fraction of the dealer price, I am looking at a lambda sensor at the mo but its for a pug 406 V6 210 bhp, so if it fits the lag :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yes it is.:).The L7X is fitted to 406's for sure,although the later 406's had VVT fitted,which I'm not sure about on the Renault.

:)

Edit;I'm not sure on parts compatibility between the two,though.:eek:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blimey lag, that was a quick reply, thanks :)

I may take the plunge with the lambda the connector looks the same, and a few of the part numbers match, its on for a tenner at the mo.
There is also a chap on ebay reckons he can ultrasonicaly clean them, don't know if this would be another option.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mmm......not heard that one before,but maybe someone else has.

I think the VVt engine in the later 406's must be the same engine as in the Lag 2.The early L7X was rated at 197bhp(I think),so I would guess that the VVt would make it up to 210bhp.The engines are identical from the out side apart from a 'bulge' in the cambelt cover to go over the unit on the inlet cam pulley.I would guess the Lag 2 has the 'bulge'.

I've worked on plenty of L7X Peugeots,but never a Lag 2.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I right in assuming there is no differance between upstream sensors and downstream,
Its just that I have noticed two for sale for a jag one upstream one downstream, looks like it may be cable length

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The sensors are usually the same,but as you say cable length and also connector plugs can be different.

There are aftermarket universal fit sensors that you join the wires on,but I have had problems with these before,and tend to either fit genuine sensors or aftermarket ones with the correct plugs already attatched.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do Pug and Citroen have problems with their colis on the V6?
I bet they do, spoke to a mate a few weeks ago, he got rid of his BMW 5 ser a year or so ago because of coil after coil failing (pencil type)
So its not just us reno owners.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
We've sold quite a few of the 406 L7X's,and only one has ever given us coil problems,on two occasions in fact!.The first time one of the coils went it blew a diagnostic fuse which not even our local dealer knew about!.The second time it was one of the notorious rear bank coils and the inlet manifold had to come off,which isn't as bad a job as it first appeared to be,although I would think it's a complete pain on the Avvy.....

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you still hesitant and lumpy polecat??! (Your engine that is!)
Yep sure am, took it in to yet another diagnostic workshop,
this guy let me watch what he was doing and we was working together, while I wedged my stick :) between the seat and the throttle and got the revs to surge up and down he was taking readings off the diagnostic equip, I then disconnected the air temp sensor to smooth out the surging, he said come and look at this you seem to have a couple of slow reacting lambda's, they have not faulted just slow he said, this could be your prob, but he's not 100% sure.
But what i can't understand the surging happens when hot and cold, when the engine is cold the ECU is not taking info from the lambda's it's not in closed loop (me thinks),
but he said the heated lambda's heat up very quick in a matter of seconds so it goes to closed loop very quick.
Is he right? or is this another one giving me some bull :confused:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I replaced the two upstream lambda sensors, guess what no change, I suspected it wouldn't make a differance but on his advice I changed them anyway, I only paid £20 each for them off ebay brand new bosch oem fit Renault would have wanted £90+.
Anyway rang the guy back at the diag center and told him he said well it could be your map sensor, but I asked him when it was on the diagnostic machine if the map sensor was faulty and he said no its fine,another one with all the gear and no idea .

Yesterday I removed the inlet manifold (plastic top part) removed and cleaned Top Dead Centre sensor, coolant sensor tested in pan of hot water, camshaft position sensors, camshaft dephaser selonoids, engine rpm sensor, most of which was a visual check and a resistence check across the sensor pins, gearbox computer and ECU removed, checked the wiring from ECU multiplug to the various sensors with an ohm meter all the wiring seems to check out ok, removed sparkplugs and cleaned.
I have used contact grease on all multiplugs before reconnecting them, renewed the inlet manifold gasket refitted manifold to the specified torque
put the throttle bodythrough the initialisation sequence,
but the car is just the same .

As I have said in prev posts disconnecting the air temp sensor improves the running, I have also now noticed disconnecting the camshaft dephaser selonoids cures the surging somewhat, could this be a camshaft dephaser pulley prob, would a faulty pulley cause such symptoms

1 - 12 of 12 Posts