Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Laguna 2, 1.8 priv. is pulling badly to the right side. I have had it in to the main agent, who took it for a test drive (twice) and said there is nothing wrong with it!!!
What a useless prat. If you drive along at 30mph and remove your hands from the steering wheel, the car veers to the right, even over the crown of the road on a single carriageway, and thats against the natural camber of the road. How do these mechanics ever get their qualifications?
I've had the tracking and balancing checked out and the tyres are OK.:steam:
Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Iam thinking that the brake may be binding on this side if you say the wheels are balanced and the traking has been done i cant think of any thing else:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The first thing to do is swap the tyres side to side(as long as they're not directional,if they are then swap them front to rear).99% of all steering pulls are due to tyres......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possible, but there'se no noise or excessive brake dust.
Added to that. sometimes it goes quite happily in a straight line for miles, even though I have used the brakes.
I will check it out though, cheers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately lagdti, the tyres are directional.
The wheels are also colour coded so that the computer read-out of the tyre pressures refers to the correct wheel.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
This may sound a bit weired but some roads have a rut in them that heavy traffic make and when your drive in that rut it can have this effect pulling you left or right this may explain why it happens and then does not happen

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unlikely. Sometimes it happens driving down my street (cul-de-sac) and sometimes it doesnt and there has never been heavy traffic there.
I reckon the problem might go away when I put new tyres on later this year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unlikely. Sometimes it happens driving down my street (cul-de-sac) and sometimes it doesnt and there has never been heavy traffic there.
I reckon the problem might go away when I put new tyres on later this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car pulling to one side

Thank the god, I thought I was the only one with this problem !!!!
The dealership has checked it three times an have told me all is fine. But still the car pulls to one side....
Their answer was to try to sell me a new car ...
I did take one out for a test drive, when I found that one not to pull I mentioned this to them. Their answer is that every car is different...........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The pulling problem seems to be solved. I replaced all four tyres (£320) and the car now drives straight as an arrow.
To replace the original type of tyre would have cost £560 but I opted for a set of "advent" tyres of the same size but obviously of a slightly inferior quality. The originals were rated at 130 mph + and as I drive a Laguna 11 1.8 privilege, I am unlikely to achieve that speed unless I get my bumper caught up on a passing Porche, I decided that for a very slight difference in roadholding, I would save a couple of hundred pounds.
As I say, new tyres and all round balance seems to have been all that was required. That's not to say that the main agents were right in saying that the steering was OK, they are quite clearly a bunch of useless prats.
How can you possibly trust a mechanic???? who test drives your car and reports nothing wrong. He never at any time, let go the steering wheel to see if the car veered offline.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts