Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that the outside of my rear right shock absorber is covered in oil while the other one is dry. I assume that it means that after 112 years and 145 000 miles it has packed in. Could i get away with just replacing the broken one with a second hand one? Or do i need a new pair?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Ideally they should be changed for a new pair,but it's entirely up to you at the end of the day.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, i'll get some prices. I assume the fact that it is covered in oil means it has leaked oil and will need replaced?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
They can weep a little oil and be OK,but if the whole thing is damp then the shock is U/S.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Just noticed that the outside of my rear right shock absorber is covered in oil while the other one is dry. I assume that it means that after 112 years and 145 000 miles it has packed in. Could i get away with just replacing the broken one with a second hand one? Or do i need a new pair?

Many thanks
after 112 years i'm not surprised :d
a pair is about £90 on eeeeeebay, easy to replace but you might need to apply heat to the lower mounting as it rusts into place after time. apart from that easy
would always change in pairs, if one is bust the other must be worn too.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
This is one item I wouldn't buy secondhand unless I could see it on the car.

Leaking ones can be cleaned up, and its only after you've gone to the hassle of removing the old one (and fitting this one), that you find out its jiggered.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
98 Posts
likewise.
buy a used one, and you could end up with 2 very different units. spary some wd-40 on the lower bolt twice a day and it may be loose by the time you get around to doing the job.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
likewise.
buy a used one, and you could end up with 2 very different units. spary some wd-40 on the lower bolt twice a day and it may be loose by the time you get around to doing the job.
had to apply some heat to the lower mounting before it popped out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts