Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
hi

about time someone took notice of this !

I have also noticed some of lights are so strong my reactolite prescription glasses darken leaving me in the dark once they pass.

Al

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
hi

about time someone took notice of this !

I have also noticed some of lights are so strong my reactolite prescription glasses darken leaving me in the dark once they pass.

Al
Are you quite sure? My reactolites only darken once outside of car and house as they react to UVA radiation from sun, mine are perfectly clear inside car in daytime.

Reactions: RebelHDeBelleme

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you quite sure? My reactolites only darken once outside of car and house as they react to UVA radiation from sun, mine are perfectly clear inside car in daytime.
I have reaction glasses that work in car ..think they are extra active or something similar

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,404 Posts
Your chances of spotting the inevitable unlit pedestrian or cyclist are a lot better if the general intensity of headlights is lower.
The concept of night vision recedes as we are hell bent on turning night into day.
There is a balance to be struck between being seen and being able to see. It has probably tipped over too far to the searchlight side of things.
Dare I mention the foglamp brigade. A Company doesn't know they are on, B Company is on a tarmac rallye stage.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,909 Posts
Your chances of spotting the inevitable unlit pedestrian or cyclist are a lot better if the general intensity of headlights is lower........
Too right.
Pedestrians or cyclists just disappear into the dazzle, even when in front and supposedly silhouetted

The really stupid thing is that you do not need ultra brights in normal streetlighting and especially not in traffic.
Some argument if you are travelling unlit roads but gawd knows how many thousands of miles I've driven on them without feeling the need for anything more then standard dips and main beams.

While we are at it, what's this latest thing I see.... fogs lighting up on the side they are steering towards ???
Some bu55ers waiting to turn right and there's this fog lamp pointing straight at oncoming traffic

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,033 Posts
New headlights ????

A member on here can blind the sh1te out you with any headlight of any age>:)>:)
Who is that then :wink2: :grin2:

Reactions: stuart j

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
While we are at it, what's this latest thing I see.... fogs lighting up on the side they are steering towards ???
Google "cornering lights"

-

Reactions: hughfraser

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,404 Posts
After years of naked bikes, before that was a phrase, I got a fully faired R100. That first night ride threw me a bit 'cause the headlight didn't move with the bars.
Do I remember correctly that on the Citroen DS it was only the dipped lights turned with the steering? I can see a certain logic on sharp lefthanders on country roads.

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
When I was 12 Car Rallying in the 70's. My Sunbeam Rapier Mk 1V Had a pair of Lucas "Death Ray" lamps.
The Left one pointed Right & Vice Versa.
Just to assist "Seeing round corners"
Nowt new IMHO.

·
Registered
2006 Kangoo 1.5DciType XC1G K9K 718/JR5 145 or 116
154 Posts
I have a Nissan Qashqai (2015) with factory standard LED headlights. They are very bright, particularly if they shine on to a surface like a road sign which has a special reflective surface, and then, I get a bit dazzled by the reflected light, especially if on an unlit motorway.
I now notice more and more cars have these LED headlights (they give a slightly blue light), especially the high end cars, as I get dazzled by them in the (auto dipping) rear view mirror, which is supposed to reduce dazzle from following cars.

I occasionally get flashed by oncoming drivers who think I am on full beam, when I am on dipped beam - so i give them a quick flash of full beam just to let them know I have accepted their request.
It would be difficult to get these cars "retrofitted" to remove these lights now, so I guess we are stuck with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I certainly agree, i find it's mostly Mercedes, Audi, BMW and most new vehicles (2016 onwards) Glad i'm not the only one who had this thought.

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Problem is ...there are no groups campaigning about these lights to the manufacturers then you have numpties trying to put unsuitable bulbs into there headlamps to get a brighter light and PC Plod does nuffing

Reactions: Mike H025
1 - 20 of 22 Posts