Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm very new to forums and I'm just wondering it any on can help me.

I have a 1999 renault kangoo 1.9 dci and the over flow tank for the radiator is pressurising I have had the cylinder head pressure tested and machined and put a new gasket on and it is still pressurising could any one give any exponential as to why this could still be happening

Thank you

Adam

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,676 Posts
how quickly is it building up pressure? what is the temperature gauge indicating? have you flushed the block and checked all the water pipes for blockages? were the mating surfaces of the block and head free of old gasket material and free of deep scratches and scores? Is the radiator fan working ok? is the water pump circulating water (eg the impeller hasn't fallen off). ? is the thermostat working ? was you vehicle driving normally for a long period before you needed to have the head gasket changed? is the pressure cap the correct fitment?
In summary its only going to be due to a blockage, or the water not circulating, or hot engine gases getting into the water jacket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for throwing some ideas my way. The water temp is very heigh after only 1 mile and is boiling the water and water does seem to be circulating and the bottom pipe on the radiator is getting warm. I rubbed down the engine block with a light sandpaper until it was smooth and clean.

Thank you for your input

Adam

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,676 Posts
Oh dear! If its boiling again so quickly it does sound like engine gases are still getting into the water. I'm not familiar with your engine so I can't suggest anything more. It may be that the new head gasket hasn't properly seated for some reason (which can happen) and may still be leaking which means doing the job again :(:( Did you put the gasket on dry or with a smear of grease or sealant?
Perhaps the head bolts need re-torqueing again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have use the sequence from a pocket mechanic manual to tight the bolts in the order that it said but when it came to the torque setting I did them to 22 ft.lb then it wants a 255 deg rotation I got to 90 deg and thought that I was going to shear the heads off this seems very excessive is this right

Thank you

Adam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts