Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i seem to be posting here a lot lately.
since i brought my espace, my radiator fans didnt work, so i took out my radiator, took apart the fans, oil and greased then up and they work great.

BUT, since taking off my top hose to my radiator, and reattaching it, its sprung a leak by the jubliee clip, ive priced one up at renault and they want £64+VAT, i think its a bit much for a bit of rubber.

ive rang around a lot of breakers, and they say, they cut the off when getting the engine out, so no help there.

does any know where i could pick up a radiator hose from, or does any other renault car have the same hose, so i can look around the local scrappies...

·
Registered
92 Posts
You could take the split hose with you to a scrap yard and see if you can find a similar looking one that you could modify or alter slightly. You never know, you could save yourself a bit of money if you have a good look?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive tried many places, its because the hose, from the radiator is about 1 1/4 inch, and expandes to about 2 1/4 inch.
this is because the thermostat sitts inside the pipe, and connects to the engine block.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi try ebay my friend its worth a try can you not trim the hose back a little and still be able to fit it or is there not enough pipe have done the same in the past to other cars just to get buy until i found one or got one i hope this helps Donald

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there - as Donald suggests, it may be possible with a steady hand and a very sharp knife to be able to trim back the hose (removing the part with the split). The only problem with that is that the hose may then become too short to allow the engine the flexibility of movement - only you would be able to tell that for sure. Also, if the pipe is quite brittle, you may end up with another split in the same pipe.

Another (strictly temporary measure) is to apply very thick duct tape over the split (allow it to cover it by quite a margin) and also allow it to fold over into the inside of the pipe (remember, you are putting a jubilee clip on this, so it should hold everything in place), then slip it over the end of the radiator.

I obtained an obscure section of hose from rummaging in my local motor factors and comparing sizes (this was for a 27 year old Toyota, and sourced/modified a pipe for a FIAT Mirafiori) - so its worth a look.

Hope you get this all sorted out.

Paul:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
scrap yard

i had the same fault on a ford some time ago the 1 and a 1/2 inch small end is common i went to scrap yard armed with hacksaw cut one of a scrappy then found a pipe to fit inside the result cut back the origanal as far as the size let me inserted the steel pipe and put the sort end to rad,bit of pipe,short hose two juilee clips and huge £2 bil later jobs agoodin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts