Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio on my 56 plate Megane has died. It was during the recent cold snap. The car struggled to start one morning and it hasn't worked since. Also the backlight in the centre console (where the radio stations/clock appear) is on constantly now. Fuse is ok. Help please.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got exactly the same problem with my Reanult Scenic (year 06) and it happened few days ago. And the clock light drained car batteries in a couple of days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
snap in an 07 Espace. Also had a flat battery am. Kwik Fit have diagnosed dead battery at this stage.

Have to see if warranty covers this...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery is fine on mine. Although the centre console is always lit it still starts even on the coldest mornings. I'm wondering if the radio has blown inside and short circuited the console.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to my Wife '06 grand scenic this morning, our local friendly Renault garage (Wests of Clapham, Bedford) fixed it in 10 seconds for free. They simply pulled the radio fuse first and then when that didn't work reset the console by pulling the console fuse.

You will need your radio code to reset, but it fixed the problem. They said if it happens again may need a new radio, basically there is a dry joint somewhere in it and when the cold hits it that hard (it was -8C this morning) it causes a failure.

Hope it helps

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems like rather a coincidence that the radio in both of our cars dies on possibly the coldest day of the winter to date. I might change the fuse just in case but I can't remember the last time I had to mess with fuses on my car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right and from the limited research I've done it seems to have happened to a fair few, although no solutions yet. I did check and change the fuse first though with no luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actual fuse that reset the system was the 20A fuse marked "Coupe Conso". Yes there were a few radios that died this morning acocording to the garage guy I spoke to tonight.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi folks, just thought i could add to this thread.

As per my other post about the resistor+wiring melting on the heater, couldnt believe it this morning when on way to dealer for said repair the radio went dead !!

Little bit of research throws up cold seems to be the problem, also it seems it causes the temp and clock to stay on when you get out and lock the car.

Anyway in my case and as others have said temp fix seems to be disconnect power to the radio for a few mins, i also warmed mine up with a hairdryer ! re-connect, enter code and it's all fixed.Including the temp and time now going off correctly.

Why the two are linked i do not know, but i know when i disconnected the yellow plug from back of radio, which i assume is the display/remote control wire the temp/time went off, they do share the same piece of display ?

I think in my case perhaps having no heater working in the car since Xmas eve may have made the problem occur combined with -5 degrees this morning.

Did the hairdryer help ? dunno, but if it goes again i'll be doing both steps.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Evening all.

I also had this problem this morning (-5C) and had been racking my brains all day trying to work it out. Had tried the 15A radio fuse with no luck.

Thanks to pada1462 and the Renault garage I tried the same thing and having took out the "Coupe Conso" 20A fuse and replaced it, then put in the code, my radio now works.

Very grateful to this forum and the advice on it.

Now I am wondering if it is going to be a regular thing as its -5C outside already and its only 19:00.

Cheers
Rod
:d

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Your friendly Renault dealer is not helping you long term I can assure you to fix for this condition is a new radio unit and is covered by a technical note 4800A It is covered under warranty up to 7 years. The fault with the radio is a software fault that stops the radio from functioning but all the earth and power feeds are all present and correct the fault sometimes causes the radio display to fuction with the ignition off and flattens the battery. If your friendly Renault dealer knew what they were doing they would replace the radio!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
also my clio 2007 197 radio dead fuse is ok, where is the 20 amp console fuse the console with temp and time are still displayed please can some one help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your friendly Renault dealer is not helping you long term I can assure you to fix for this condition is a new radio unit and is covered by a technical note 4800A It is covered under warranty up to 7 years. The fault with the radio is a software fault that stops the radio from functioning but all the earth and power feeds are all present and correct the fault sometimes causes the radio display to fuction with the ignition off and flattens the battery. If your friendly Renault dealer knew what they were doing they would replace the radio!!!
Thanks for this. This sounds remarkably similar to my symptoms. I'll print and ask them to consider as my local dealer would take years to get that far....

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Just disconnect the radio or the battery will go flat. No music is better than no car. It is probably the radio that is causing it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just disconnect the radio or the battery will go flat. No music is better than no car. It is probably the radio that is causing it.
I have no music anyway. Will leave the radio alone though as the car is still in warranty, just and don't want them to have any wriggle room, given other problems that are developing.

Car is in overnight tomorrow night, so plenty of time to get AA out, again, if necessary.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Just remember that the RAC and AA are very busy at the moment so be prepared to wait. Or call them now and get them to disconnect the radio and return to your Dealer.
Regards,
Regie

·
Registered
23 Posts
This I know nodding wisely, having called them yesterday and today. Their fault diagnosis is clearly working well.

Renault Customer Services had to get involved due to a ¤¤¤¤ up when a dealer forgot to put on the extra year of AA Assistance. They thought the car was going to be recovered to a dealer, but the AA chap contented himself with starting the car, but not really getting involved with diagnosis.

Assuming that it's flat again in the morning hopefully they will just recover automatically this time.

I can manage without the car for a couple of days, but it's getting a bit tedious now.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
O.K. but constant discharge of the battery causes the lead plates to wear and possibility of suphating (reduced capacity) thusly premature wear

1 - 20 of 106 Posts