Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just got a 2011 1.5dci tomtom dynamique and some of the displays on the radio and phone book are in gobbledegook. Just random letters and punctuation marks. How can I remove or reset this?
Ray

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,221 Posts
Define "Just Got" and was it from a dealer or a punter on the street?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 weeks ago from punter
Where it should say fm for waveband it says uA with 2 dots over u
for instance

·
7,221 Posts
the only thing I can think of is that the stereo is either switched to another language or it has got iself confused, if you can get into the preferences of the tomtom there are 6 pages of them the page 6 of 6 is the factory reset page, that might be worth a try ( page 5 of 6 is the change language page, it might just be worth setting that to english before fully resetting the device)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ,I will give it a try
I think the firmware in the radio has been corrupted as all the labels for waveband, phonebook , call history and emergency etc. have been corrupted. Anything I have entered is in English such as the names and numbers from my phone. Ever heard of this before?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the firmware in the radio has been corrupted as all the labels for waveband, phonebook , call history and emergency etc. have been corrupted. Anything I have entered is in English such as the names and numbers from my phone. Ever heard of this before?
If that's true you can get replacements on eBay for relatively little money

·
7,221 Posts
I would ring up your local Renault garage, explain the problem and see if there is a way to upgrade / rewrite the firmware to the media system, tell them its corrupted somehow, you could always try the "old" trick:-
1. turn on your head lights ( do not lock your door when you get out)
2. Remove the negative terminal off your battery
3. go for a cup of tea ( other drinks are available), but wait for about 30 minutes to allow all the nasty trons to leave the car
4. reconnect the negative on the battery
5. Turn off your headlights ( the reason fo the headlight trick is that it prevents spikes of power going to aany ECU's when you reconnect the battery, the lights light up instead)

try the stereo now. you may need the code to re-enable the stereo

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,028 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would ring up your local Renault garage, explain the problem and see if there is a way to upgrade / rewrite the firmware to the media system, tell them its corrupted somehow, you could always try the "old" trick:-
3. go for a cup of tea ( other drinks are available), but wait for about 30 minutes to allow all the nasty trons to leave the car
5. Turn off your headlights ( the reason fo the headlight trick is that it prevents spikes of power going to aany ECU's when you reconnect the battery, the lights light up instead)

Thanks I'll try that but I think a new radio is needed. Perhaps the previous owner did not have the lights on when replacing the battery? and so screwed the radio

·
Registered
279 Posts
To be honest, I'm not certain there is any difference between the head units that were fitted in Tom Tom cars, and the head units in cars without Tom Tom. As far as I can tell the clever Tom Tom wizardry is in the separate screen. If that's the case you can get a replacement stereo on its own for almost half the above price, but I can't say for certain it would work, so the risk is yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest, I'm not certain there is any difference between the head units that were fitted in Tom Tom cars, and the head units in cars without Tom Tom. As far as I can tell the clever Tom Tom wizardry is in the separate screen. If that's the case you can get a replacement stereo on its own for almost half the above price, but I can't say for certain it would work, so the risk is yours.
Thanks for all the help .In the end I bought a radio off fleabay with code and after a struggle to enter the code everything is now OK

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

In the end I bought a radio of ebay with code and after a struggle to enter the code everything now OK . Many thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out of interest did you purchase a proper TomTom radio or a normal radio that looked the same?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lol, it's fairly easy to power it up on a bench, and one thing that does work even without a code inputted, is CD eject.

With regards to the Tom Tom question, all I'm asking is if the seller specifically indicated it was from a car with Tom Tom. If it wasn't, it would have been around £50~£60 and looked right but with no mention of Tom Tom in the advert. I'm just trying to prove my hunch that all the radios are the same, and there isn't a special Tom Tom model.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts