Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 renault megane. I absolutely love this car apart from one very annoying problem. The mini 15amp fuse (radio) keeps blowing everything time I use the cigerrate lighter for charging. For the first time it happened, the a/c and washer was not working. The radio stopped turning on/off automatically when I start/stop the car. The radio also turned off automatically for every 20 minutes. I opened the fuse box and found the 15amp had blown. Therefore, I replaced the radio fuse and everything worked fine again. However, it did not even last for a day. It blew again once I used the cigerrate lighter. Now, four 15amp have blown so far. Any help or suggestion would be really appreciated.:confused:

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The mini 15amp fuse (radio) keeps blowing everything time I use the cigerrate lighter for charging.

there is your problem the device your charging has to much current draw for the lighter socket to take or the lighter socket has a short ps what is it your charging? and how much is the amp rating on the charging device?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mini 15amp fuse (radio) keeps blowing everything time I use the cigerrate lighter for charging.

there is your problem the device your charging has to much current draw for the lighter socket to take or the lighter socket has a short ps what is it your charging? and how much is the amp rating on the charging device?

Thanks for reply. I was using a charger to charge my iPhone. However, it did also blow twice even when I had only used the cigeratte lighter for lighting cigerattes. And the charger used to work fine before the fuse blew for the first time. So I think it's merely a problem of the car itself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive just been messing with cigarette lighter/accessory sockets. I have a scenic so i presume there the same. The one at the front of mine is completely different to accessory sockets (took it out and had a look). Normally the positive is in the middle and thats it, with the earth round the outside. It isnt on my cigerette lighter. There are "positive" lugs on the outside of the socket on this. Therefore, plugging a charger in "could" short it out. Ive done it many times. until I figured it out. I was plugging in a usb socket "belkin" and it kept shorting because the outside springs on usb adapter where touching both the outside shell (negative) and these positive lugs.

This is all based on your megane being the same socket as my scenic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2000 scenic lighter was ok until recently now both have stopped , front one was rusty,works on my other renault when swapped over , but not on Scenic,may be fuse. back one still out.
how do you get the fuses out !! they seem to have a grid over them, most cars just pull out fuse and check it ,not on this car!!
At least from a previous thread I understand it is the radio fuse that needs looking at. Getting at it will be the problem without dismantling facia

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having a similar problem with an 05 megane 1.5dci. 5amp fuse kept blowing leaving me with no windscreen washer, radio that would switch off after 20 mins or so and no illumation light for a/c and hrw. Eventually I discovered that a coin had fallen into the hole of the cigar lighter and this was causing the short. It was due to reading threads on this forum that I even thought of looking at the lighter socket, many thanks to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.