Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've just bought a mk1 Clio and am loving it but unforgivably somebody’s cut the loom apart so I can't install another radio. I have a spare ISO connector and I know what pins are there for, could somebody tell me what each color wire is on the loom? I've attached a picture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
You can buy Harness Adaptors with ISO connector. The wires are already colour coded so it would just be a matter of crimping together the appropriate wires. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
think it would be easier to get a wiring diagram mate, usually there are 4 pairs of speaker wires, a permanent positive, a negative and a accessory positive so the radio is switched on with the ignition.get a little test bulb to find out your + & - wires.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
First thing - identify 4 pairs of cables as they will be for speakers.
Mauve - Right rear - indicator line is the Neg lead.
Grey - Right front -
White - Left front -
Green - Left rear -

Yellow - perm Live
Red - Ign switch live
Orange - Illum
Blue - aerial if fitted
Black or brown - Negative

Good luck

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
DONT take it for granted that the whole loom hasn't been botched in somewhere - if that's the case then none of the colours will tally, especially the live and ground, always confirm this with a multimeter - I know from bitter experience. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, ta for the replies. Just had a go at wiring it up but I’m not getting anything from the live wire :(. Can I just take the current from another wire somewhere? There's another bit of wiring right next to the radio wire that's been cut, it's just Live and Neutral. I have no idea why it's there but I’m getting about 13.4v from it when the ignitions on but it seems very unregulated.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi TheMarsVolta

Here's a link for the iso connections :-

TLCDCEmu - Hardware

As you can see the 12 feed has two connections one is always live and another that is via the ignition switch.

Both must be fused,5 amps for the permanent and 10 amps for the one via ignition switch.

The reason the 12 volt varies up to 13.5 volts will be the alternator output...this is normal to charge the battery.

hope this helps.

:) :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi everyone, ive had my mk1 clio a week, complete with no radio, and a bunch of wires very similar to the photo at the start of the thread, i've bought a cd player that came with an iso lead but the colours on the iso do not all correspond to the ones in the car (the speaker ones mainly),

neither do they respond to the colours stated in about the third post in this thread, does anyone know the exact operation of each coloured wire that go to the radio? any help on this would be much appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
wiring colours

when i wired up my stereo in the mk1 scenic, i took the speakers out and noted the colours to ea. noting which was plus, and minus, the larger terminal on the speaker is normaly plus, and then checked those colours at the head unit end, i later replaced it all with OFC cable, but thats not needed in your case, yellow is normaly memory wire, red live, black earth, speaker wires are normaly described in hand book or on the top of the headset, wire with trace is normaly the minus wire,)trace means a colour embedded in the wire)ie2 green wires, the one with the trace is normaly the minus (earth ) wire that goes to the smaller terminal on the speaker.,

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks for the help, i'm gonna give it a go the weekend when i get some spade connectors, although, i dont actually have the manual, i think im ok with the one block of wires, its the speaker ones, i wasnt sure which was rear left, left, right, rear right etc, would really make much difference as long as the pos and neg are in the proper imputs?

·
Registered
47 Posts
ive searched everywhere online for some kind of diagram of the wiring but nothing, ive just had a good look at the wiring as i intended to put the cd player in today but im really confused, this is what i have

2 x yellow with grey stripe
2 x lilac
2 x mauve
2 x white
2 x cream
1 x red with grey stripe
1 x black
1 x blue
1 x yellow with green stripe

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
wiring colours

has this car had or still got a sat nav system in it, some of those colours look very much like the ones that were in the sat nav system i took out of my scenic, they used to hook up near where the loom for the head unit is,also does it have tweeter speakers up in the dash area, as they would run from that area as well, i would check the speaker connections at ea speaker to see which speaker wire goes where, and if you have tweeter speakers in the dash, check those colours as well,as you have to many wires there for a 4 speaker system, black is earth, red would be accy live, blue would be antenna if used, then you could have phone mute, and your 8 speaker wires, but if you have tweeters, that would be another 4 wires

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi thanks for the help, as far as i can see i only have 4 speakers and im sure there was wasnt satnav installed, do you think its safe to say that the colours of which i have 2 wires are definitely speakers? im tempted to have a go at fitting it but im worried im gonna f*** something up, what you think the yellow with green could be, maybe the perm live? it looks like a standard earth wire.

edit: also im pretty sure that what look like speaker wires, none of them have anything on them to determin between pos and neg

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
stereo wiring

dificult to give advice in this situation,only Renault would have different colours for diferent models, is it hard to get at the speakers to check the wiring colours attatched to them, so long as you use black for earth, red for ignition power supply, you would then need a permanet live yellow one for your memory wire, check to ensure its live with a circuit tester, the red one should only come live with ignition on or on accesory, the wires you have 2 of ea colour sound right fior sopeakers, look for the one with a trace colour for the eart side of the speaker, (small terminal) you seem to have 2 extra wires there somewhere.if you dont remove speakers to check colours, you may need to check ea one as you go to see if the right speaker is wired up to the right wire, always earth the set (black wire) before you connect the live wires, you shouldnt need to worry about connecting the ariel wire (blue) unless its an electric ariel, its the 2 yellow with grey stripes that dont seem to belong to the stereo

·
Registered
47 Posts
cheers, it looks like im gonna have get behind the speakers and find out whats what, from there i shall just have to go with the yellow with green strip as the perm live, the rest seems straight forward with the red and black, i'll just leave the 2 yellow & grey taped up. i won a haynes manual on ebay earlier for 3 quid, will that shed any light on it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
im having trouble trying to get the ignition accesory cable for my car , dont have a clue what colour it is. i have a red and black wire on the factory loom , which is connected to both ign accesory(red) and perm live(yellow) , any ideas what or where the hell the ignition wire is because i cannot find it atall.

also noting with the speakers , they are 2 way if you have a mk1 clio mines an R reg . pinky colour and white for front right , and a purple colour and black colour for front right. if in doubt i would just rewire new speakers in the back . i done it until they got nicked .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts