Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
a week ago my renault megane diesel started rattling noise in engine alternator pully area like some metal part banging with engine but went away when reving now its having the same problem while driving in high gear at low speed or while going uphill. got exhaust and heat shield checked everything is fine. any idea wot it could be.

many thanks
Zia

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Prattle Rattle

OOPs - sounds like faulty alternator, water pump or timing belt pulleys or tensioner - drive on at your peril - get it sorted now or face a massive bill in the near future. If the timing belt fails it will probably wreck the engine. It is surprising the number of cars that end up in the scrap yard - not because they're old or damaged but have suffered engine failure and have become uneconomic to repair. Remeber this type of failure is not covered by your insurance. If still under waranty - failure to act now could invalidate any cover you may have.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
There are known issues about the alternator pulleys on dTi engines,unfortunatly.:(

The alternator pulley comes loose which throws the belt off,and this can get caught around the bottom pulley and damge the cambelt.I would definately get it checked asap!

Keep us to date with what happens.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All!
had it checked from Renault dealer, they said alternator and tensioner pully needs changing, total cost £500.00 , would anyone know if anybody sells new parts cheaper ???? any website i can try ? or dealer is best place to go?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Azam - sounds expensive - I suggest you try another non-renault garge as their labour costs may be cheaper. I am fairly sure you could get the spares cheaper elsewhere. The only downside I see about buying your own parts and doing the job yourself is there would be no warranty should any of the repairs go pear-shaped.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Azam - sounds expensive - I suggest you try another non-renault garge as their labour costs may be cheaper. I am fairly sure you could get the spares cheaper elsewhere. The only downside I see about buying your own parts and doing the job yourself is there would be no warranty should any of the repairs go pear-shaped.:)
i have the same noise coming from my alternator area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine has just started doing this and is getting louder so getting it in to a garage on wednesday for them to look at, have checked and the belt was replaced 10k ago, nothing looks loose but on acceleration the noise does get less or go away.

Does sound like a metallic plate rattling, will see Wednesday and not driving it till then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts