Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help me, I have a violent bumping /rattling under wan which sounds like it comes from the drivers wheel side / under van too. I have replaced the shocks springs engine mounts anti roll bar and a ball joint on passenger side. I have also replaced the top mounts too. When it's jack up I can't seem to find anything moving yet when I'm driving its really quite bad noise over bumps and holes in road at slow and high speeds. I've also replaced the tie rod end of stearing colum, I'm stuck for ideas now

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,085 Posts
Need it flat on the deck, lifting it up, you are raising body work, but the running gear will still be low, so any thing that could be touching especially exhaust will now miss..
Habdbrake cables secure,

Have you grabbed hold of the rear exhaust tail pipe, and give it a good shake with van on the deck

IF rear gearbox mount is gone, then the exhaust can touch the subframe as you drive, and this causes a hell of a bang

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi can anyone help me, I have a violent bumping /rattling under wan which sounds like it comes from the drivers wheel side / under van too. I have replaced the shocks springs engine mounts anti roll bar and a ball joint on passenger side. I have also replaced the top mounts too. When it's jack up I can't seem to find anything moving yet when I'm driving its really quite bad noise over bumps and holes in road at slow and high speeds. I've also replaced the tie rod end of stearing colum, I'm stuck for ideas now
Yeah had it on deck too gave exhaust a shake still nothing until I'm driving

·
41,085 Posts
Would be getting the bar in on the back engine to subframe mount
This is where a flat bed lift works best, ..
Can you get under, see the rear subframe bushes on the Front subframe, can you paint the bushes to the floor/body, now go give it a run, if subframe is moving through the bushes, you should see the paint split between both surfaces ..
You could be lucky, and its the bushes are worn and knocking ( Not in the job, but finding the cause of the knock )

·
41,085 Posts
If a 1.9
did they put a bar in from the engine to rear mount, and see if the mount was good, it only moves a bit, anything over half an inch, its tucked, and the inner metal bush knocks
If a 2litre
they have checked drivers side top mount for lifting .. and then dropping

Get in the van, apply hand brake , chock front wheels, with it in first gear , slowly lift off the clutch, until the van tries to move, and now dip the clutch slightly, you will be able to get the engine to move back and forth with just the clutch pedal, controlling drive
Once happy you can do this, ask someone to stand at the side, and see what the engine is doing when you control clutch bite
See how much movement you have

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the engine mounts replaced already, I did this check anyway and it doesn't move in a bad way, I've just bought another ball joint to try even though when checking it it seems fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts