Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Kadjar(67 plate) 1.2. Petrol.
Ever since I got it (from new) the engine rattles from about 1000rpm onwards .
The first service was fine and found nothing wrong. Currently on 17K and it's still doing it , once over 70 it tends to blend with the rest of engine noise.
I've driven all sorts of vehicles( I am 57) over the years and can confidently say this is the most uncomfortable, uneconomical (32.3mpg) unfriendly car ever. Had a Megane (brilliant-) drove to Brussels (60mpg) and a Scenic (cavernous boot) but this is bloody awful. Had a Capri in the 80's that did more to the gallon than this.

Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
So my guess is you talking about this..new gen 1.2 Tce..

Had another member on here recently with the 3 cylinder Tce also complaining of a rattle..that turned out to be the timing chain and renault rectified the problem for him..might be worth investigating it and also getting yourself to your dealer馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
So my 1.2 Kadjar (petrol) with a whopping 19K on the clock needs a new timing chain. .....oh the rusty tin of nails will probably need a clean as well.
Never have a Renault again.

Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
So my 1.2 Kadjar (petrol) with a whopping 19K on the clock needs a new timing chain. .....oh the rusty tin of nails will probably need a clean as well.
Never have a Renault again.
What year is your car? Is it under warranty? Has it full service history?

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
I've moved this into the original thread.
No problems with you complaining, I think I would be stomping around my dealer's showroom demanding action.

The good news is that with a two year old car and low mileage there should be no issues with a warrantee replacement.
Both Renault and Nissan (who use the same engine) have replaced complete engines when pushed on this.
The bad news is that it does seem to be a weak point on this engine.

I must admit, I have a jaundiced view on little engines, mega nominal power and sticking them in heavy cars.
Many do not have linear power curves, being underpowered for the weight at lower revs, possibly okay in traffic, a pain when power is needed at lower revs.
But that is personal opinion.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
age etc .see first post.
most of my driving career I've had 1.8,2.0 litre engines and 98% of them have been rock solid including a Citroen GSA Pallas that had 150K on the clock . Had a Megane and a Scenic in the past ( awesome vehicles) drove Megane to Brussels and got 63mpg, albeit a diesel.
This "Kadjar" is a big pile of merde.

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
age etc .see first post.
鈥︹︹︹..
Hum.....
Not overly helpful as when RW asked the question you had a single post (no 4) posted in the general chat forum and with no link to this thread.
And not bothered to even fill in details in the About section of your profile so we cannot glean anything from that.

Technical Supremo, Platinum Member

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry if I upset anyone when posting this problem, I was extremely annoyed.
The Kadj has been in the dealers since Tuesday having it's "chocolate " timing chain replaced and I shall be picking it up later today.
Is it possible that the chain problem has had any impact on the mpg?.

Premium Member
Is it possible that the chain problem has had any impact on the mpg?.
More than possible, quite likely. If the chain is rattling for whatever reason the valves are most likely opening and closing at the wrong times. The O2 sensors can try to compensate but toast always falls butter side down.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Got it back. Its a different car, performance is 100% better, really goes now and it's as quiet as a whisper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the new chain has had a dramatic effect on the mpg.
Currently achieving 28 miles to the gallon . Abysmal. Thank God it goes in October next year. I should be bankrupt by then.

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
Thats never right.
Mine only gives 26 ( Ish )
But have a reason for that..
What was it like before?

( October is 11 months away ,)
Can you not take it back, must have a warranty

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Thankfully it's a lease deal .
Not personal contract etc. Something in place since 2001.
With the rattly chain it did 32.
I must admit I don't do a lot of long distance . A 200 mile trip once a month.
That said I did have a 2.4 Volvo (V70 est )diesel that managed 38.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts