Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - wondering if someone could please help. Model is 2004 sorry.
Just got the above car and having problem getting the child locks working. The garage have come to the conclusion that the rear child locks dont work because there is a fault on the key card. They are apparently going to sort me a new one and get it recoded which they think will reset it.
Does this seem the right answer to anybody ?
The button near the four window buttons do seem to lock the rear windows but not the child locks.
Also is there any way to temporarily lock the back doors from the inside for the kids ?? The screw thing you turn on the side of the door appears to only lock from teh exterior.
Could this problem also be linked to my interior lights not working ?
Can somebody give me quick fix on the child locks especially ??

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Lee - have you got the drivers handbook. My handbook says if you activate the rear window locking system located on the drivers door it should prevent operation of the rear windows AND opening of the rear doors. If the levers on the edge of the rear doors are positioned correctly the rear doors can be opened only from the outside (this sytem is mechanically operated). Additionally the locking mechanism can be set up so all doors automatically lock when the vehicles goes over 6MPH and automatically unlocks under that speed. It is also specifically reminds drivers never to leave the keycard in the slot when leaving children or pets in the car as it is possible the security aspect of the doors could be accidently over-ridden. If the facilities mentioned above are not working the vehicle should not be used on the road - under EU legislation all cars must have a means of locking the rear doors to prevent children opening. Come to think of it technicaly the company that sold you the car are breaking the law as they have supplied a car unsuitable for purpose. Get back to them PDQ and raise merry hell:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.
Yeah I did realise that the switch on the drivers door is supposed to operate the child locks but it is not working.
I have taken it back and they have checked it out an come up with the answer that there is a problem related to the key card and they are ordering me a new one. Apparently it is related to the dead lock where all the doors are supposed to locked from the inside when the lock is pressed twice in quick succession. That does not work on my card card.
Are there any Renault experts out there who have seen a similar problem ????

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Lee - if the speed related auto-locking mechanism is activated it may be over-riding the system. Have you tried opening a door when the vehicle is travelling over 6MPH. When new these cars are supplied with two keycards - if you only have one I would be concerned there is another keycard out there somewhere leaving your vehicle vulnerable to theft. I doubt your insurers would be none to happy about that. Each keycard is unique and the vehicle is programmed to accept up to four different cards. When you get your new keycard ask them to deselect any other keycards registered in the car security system when the new card is being programmed.:)

Have a look at thhe link below
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/front-page-news/8223-renault-key-cards-important-information.html?highlight=keycard

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Speed related auto locking prevents doors opening from the outside, not the inside, trying to open any door will cancel it, so the best bet would be to activate the childlocks after you start moving (to be sure the autolock setting doesn't deactivate it)

or,

Hold the locking button in for several seconds to deactivate the autolock (this will activate it if it's off though remember) and then put the childlocks on, then there's nothing interfering with them.

The mechanical switch on the doors overides everything though regardless - there are 2 finger-tip levers on the inside edge of the rear doors, under or near to the locking mechanism, just reverse the position it's in now then they will always be on - not as convenient as the electronic ones, but safer - I'm always forgetting to activate them! :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Schmooster - you say the doors can be opened from the inside but not from the outside when travelling over 6MPH that sort of defeats the purpose - as I doubt if anyone is likley to come along side and try to open your door when travelling at that speed. From reading the drivers handbook my understanding is the system can only be over-ridden by opening a front door from the inside when the vehicle is stationary. The system is there to prevent someone from forcing entry when stopped at traffic lights, etc. The book also clearly warns it may be more difficult for those assisting you in the event of an incident. As a matter of interest has anyone on this forum actually used this function and checked out how it works.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again - will try that.
But are those mechanical catches on the door not just emergency locks for locking from the exterior incase your key card fails ? Thats what the manual seems to suggest.
I am not bothered about that switch on the drivers door to be honest just want something that switches the child locks on permanently switched on for the kids for the next four years.
I am sure it is something related to the fact that the deadlock is not working.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Hi Noel, :), you've misunderstood me mate, the autolock can be cancelled from any door, not just the front - unless mine is knackered, which is why I said it wouldn't prove anything - I wasn't implying they only worked over 6mph, that's when they activate. :) I'll do some testing with this and the childlocks and post back some info.

Hi Lee,

The mechanical switches are on the inside edge of the rear doors, NOT the mechanical switch on the passenger door that's operated with your emergency key. These are small finger-tip levers that you push across manually, under the mechanism (not the handle). I'll try to sort a picture out for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Schmooster
I was talking about the mechanical switches on the inside of the doors. They are on every door in the car and the manual says they can be used to lock when all else fails (but from exterior only !). These catches on every door I can move (with a screwdriver) but they only seem to lock from outside. If I am still talking about the wrong ones i would love a pic or something bud.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Bugger, you're not wrong I'm afraid, outside only. Sorry dude, I totally misinterpreted that, anyway...

To answer your original question then: the childlocks can be activated and deactivated without the keycard being inserted, as long as the car is open the card can be in your pocket for example, so it seems doubtful your card is affecting the functionality as it's not required to operate them.

The autolock can be cancelled by any door, and more importantly, at any speed! Travelling beyond 6mph activates the mechanism and prevents entry from outside, but you can open the doors from the inside even if you are moving, so you can't use this as a backup childlock - worth noting if you weren't actually aware of this.

The manual locking button works in the same way only it's activated manually (as the name suggests) :p but is cancelled by opening any door - why have an unlock switch then? Well I guess so you can stop off and pick up passengers allowing them to open the doors from the outside, or maybe you're at the supermarket and the missus wants to get into the boot from outside or something, I dunno, nothing like making a simple function complicated.

All of this applies to my car btw, so may not even be applicable to yours. :eek:

Hope you get it sorted anyway. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello
I have a laguna 2 1.6 but I discover the same problem, my dougther 1,4 years old manage to open the door in the time of travel with car . I was shockt because I know that it can be opened. luckely she was in her baby chair with sitbelt on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts