Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm just looking to replace the rear shocks on my Lag I but cannot find a suitable place to stick an axle stand after I've jacked up on the sill.

I'd rather not have the wheel removed for too long, pulling & bashing on the mounting bolts with just a trolley jack. Also to remove the lower mounting bolt I'm gonna have to stick my head under there!

Presumably there is a point on the subframe somewhere?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheerz

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
If you look under the car, there should be a chassis rail (looks like a long box section) which will run most of the car's length on both sides (not the sill), this should be fine to support the car. Use an axle stand with a bit of cloth on its head to prevent damaging the protective coating underneath.

Meant to add - if you happen to see any points on the chassis rail which have specially-shaped sections (you'll know it if you see it), then they are specifically designed as lifting points.

Hope this helps,

Paul:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh yes - many thanks Vel. I did notice a small square metal section just behind the jacking point & thought that looked suitable. Just don't want to make any expensive mistakes!
Incidentally I wonder why they are called 'axle' stands? I would think this is the last place you would want to put one!

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I think its just a name which has stuck since the days of separate chassis & coachbuilt bodies. Those were the days of very heavy gauge metal used throughout, and the axle was usually supported by leaf (read cart) springs, so it was the strongest point, I suppose.

All this changed with monocoque construction, and front wheel drive...

All the best,

Paul:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts