Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear brakes have started to grind, when breaking.
so i took the rear hubs off and chekced the rear shoes, and they were ok, and didnt need changing, just a littl bit of dust inside the hub.

so i cleaned the inside of the drums with petrol to get all the break dust off, and put them back on.
it was fine for a day, but the grinding has come back, and now in a norming the rear breaks seem to stick on a little once ive released the hand brake.

is the handbrake sticking causeing the problem.
any body have this problem,

neil

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi it may be that they are not returning to where they should or it might be that the shoes are contaminated did the shoes look very shiny when you had them off a little wet and dry just to take the shine of them may help and the springs might be stretched and not helping i hope this helps keep us posted please

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last time i had grinding rear brakes it was a leaking cylinder. Even if the brakes were binding it would not cause the grinding. When i had the leaking cylinder the brakes would grind first thing in the morning but be o.k. the rest of the day. Just a cleanup and new cylinders cured the problem. Cheapest place for cylinders is partco <£6 each. Try backing off the automatic adjuster a bit to see if it cures the binding problem. (The self adjuster will then adjust to the correct position with a few pumps on the brake)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info , but the grinding has seemed to gone now, dont know why, might of just being the weather

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Sticky brakes

Sounds like a sticky cylinder although renaults are prone to sticky rear brakes especially after sitting a while - could also be a brake lining starting to come adrift. As a matter of interest why did you clean the shoes with petrol. Only brake cleaning fluids should be used as other chemicals can cause the bonding holding the lining on to the shoe to fail and come apart. When working with brakes remember what ever repairs you do to one side you must do the the other otherwise you will end up with brake imbalance which can be dangerous and cause a vehicle to fail MOT.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts