Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

i would like to know is there a simple way to find out if my car has girling, lucasor bosch rear brake shoes?

it is a 2002 dynamique with ABS

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
if you remove one of the rear wheels there will be the makers stamp on the calliper,mine are ATE.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi 5th wheel. Quote me if I'm wrong but I didn't think Renault fitted ATE brake parts from new. Are you sure yours are original.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
these are drum brakes and i've been told that there are three types. so how do i find out which ones i've got?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
looking at my service history no callipers have ever been replaced,so i can only pressume that they have been on from new,if you was to ring reno spares dept at your local main dealer,give him your reg number he will be able to give you the info you need,

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys.

the brakes were lucas girling. managed to get the drivers side shoes and wheel cylinder on. the existing cylinder had a burst seal and was leaking fluid into the drum. however i couldnt complete the job as i couldnt get the passenger side hub nut off!!!!:steam:

handbrake is much better and firmer and pre-exesting grinding noises which i'd heard before, have now stopped.

alas.........

one little problem.

i managed to get some air into the system and bled it out, but....... there seems to be a sound of air escaping when i push the foot brake. the resisatnce in the pedal is still good; if not better and braking is sharp and responsive as u would expect. just wondering if this noise means something or if it has been there all along???????

answers on a postcard................#

thanks

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
REar brakes

Hi Jonny G Looks like you’re getting sorted out – the sound you hear could be coming from the brake servo which is quite normal. To test - run the engine for about a minute switch off and then press the brake pedal a number of times you should hear the “hissing” sound but after several pumps of the brake pedal the sound should cease – this process empties the vacuum reservoir in the servo. Start the engine again and the sound should return when pumping the pedal. Sometimes the hub nut can be quite difficult to remove (maybe some mechanic in the past has used the dreaded air-gun). You either need a really long bar to get sufficient leverage to get it undone or take it your friendly tyre depot and see of they could undo it for you. It is recommended the hub nut be replaced each time and torqued to 118 lb/ft. As a matter if interest was the drum contaminated with brake fluid and if so did you replace and if cleaned how did you do it.:)

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi noel

i just cleaned the drum and backplate with methylated spirits. its highly volatile so it only takes minutes to fully evaporate- then you're good to go.

A friend of mine suggested that i might have been turning the hub nut the wrong way; something to do with the thread system on the car. he suggested i should have turned it clockwise since the anticlockwise motion removed the oppsing nut??

not sure myself. does sound like something the french would do:d kidding

have you heard of this?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Short term brake fix

In my experience just cleaning the drums with a solvent is a very short-term fix (a week or so) The metal in brake drums is quite porous and the fluid actually gets absorbed into the surface and the next time it is subjected to heat during braking the fluid will leech back out again contaminating your nice new brake shoes. Most mechanics wipe clean first and then gently heat the drums with a blowlamp or hot air gun and then give them a light emery – during this process you can actually see the fluid coming to the surface. If you don’t believe me give it a try – you will be surprised. There is a sure way of detecting a left-handed nut or bolt – it will have small notches on each corner – this is the international standard. I doubt if it’s a left handed nut on your car but have a look and see if there are any notches as I described.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts