Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my mk 2ph2 Clio 2003 has a illuminated rear fog light on dashboard. It's not constant, it's brighter when you have your foot on the brake. It comes on slightly when you use everything, but it continuously lights up on the foot pedal. Driving along with foot on the acceleration it's fine, no light. If it's sat idle, no light. The actual bulb never lights up unless you actually turn it on.

Can anyone suggest something?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
bad or failed earth for rear lights and using brake light circuit to complete?

Reactions: Brendan W

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,511 Posts
More than likely, yes, a bad earth return from the light cluster and the first place to start is the plug at the cluster. You are looking for a discoloured earth wire pin and maybe signs of heat damage. Black wire iirc.
If currents can't get home by the earth system they will find other ways through other circuits. It's typical to see the car in front with brake lights dimming in time with flashing indicators and so on.
Maybe only one side is showing signs but the other is not far behind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have removed the rear cluster lights and all the pins and connection are perfectly clean on the cluster and the on the plug. I have actually looked at the wires themselves that goes into the back of the plug yet tho

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Hi

as advised you need to clean the contacts in the rear light clusters, don't use anything metal (file screwdriver etc) unless disconnecting the battery first !)

see photo

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved!!!!

Right to start with I looked at the black earth wire and both was nice and clean. I removed both clusters and the light didn't illuminate or anything. My dad has the same model so I borrowed his clusters to see if that was the problem and it was. It was the p/s rear cluster messing around. Even though the connection are nice and clean etc it was that causing the problem. So I'm of to the scrap yard tomorrow.

Another quick question, on the older model (MK2 ph1), with the old boring red rear lights, do they have one or 2 rear dogs or if anyone knows if it has the wiring for one or 2??

Again, thanks to everyone who helped.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,511 Posts
Before heading to the scrappy it might be worth investigating the state of the internal contacts to the bulb holder strip and the bulb sockets themselves. Either of these can cause problems and a clean can sort it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I have, all the bulbs and their connections are clean, can't see anything wrong. I'm assuming it's internal. I have to go to the scrap yard anyway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts