Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening!
I have a question about rear parking sensors on an Espace 2004 2.2 automatic. They were working fine until few days ago and - to my knowledge - are still working ok if not for additional annoying beep. When I start the car and put the gear into reverse it beeps to indicate reversing sensors are active (I suppose) BUT now it makes additional hi-pitched noise for 2-5 seconds. As I said, sensors appear to be functional. This sound also comes from someplace behind.

Sounds fixable?
br, Matt:confused:

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi espacer ... stumped ... my Espace bleeps when put into reverse then starts to bleep at 750mm out from the towbar ... increasing in frequency until it becomes a solid tone at 100mm out from the towbar.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Perhaps one of the sensors has failed? Not sure really, just guessing. It may think there is an object close by when there isn't.
You could try disconnecting individual sensors until beep returns to normal.
You could switch ignition on and select reverse. Open tailgate so you can hear sounder. Then put your hand up near each sensor - if it is working the beeping should increase the closer your hand gets. This may work and you may find one sensor doesn't!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers! The bleep is different (higher) than the "normal" beeping when an obstacle is in range. I will check each sensor tomorrow!
M

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An update:
I was wrong - the sensors are NOT working at all. The symptoms remain the same: additional high-pitched beep from the rear when put into reverse then no sound at all when an obstacle gets close to rear bumper. Nothing stuck on the bumper either!
Can it be blown fuse or smthg?
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Where's the sounder/control box?
We have had a lot of rain recently could be damp causing the problem. Also worth disconnecting the sensors altogether - as they may be "shorting out". If the squeal goes when you unplug the sensors you know its probably the sensors loading the control module. If possible reconnect one sensor at a time, chances are if its a sensor fault it will only be one sensor - highly unlikely that all 4 would fail at the same time.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi the sounder is behind the cream coloured upper trim panel on the RHS as you look with the tailgate open .... its rivited on and not adjustable.

I believe the control box is behind coloured panel below the sounder ... to the RHS of the storage beside the fuel filler, from there its controlled by the main ECU, all adjustment is done via diagnostic/clip.

hope it helps :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other thing that I noticed today: if the car is parked with rear sensors close to an obstacle to begin with, sensors respond with correct beeping for a couple of seconds, then the "incriminated" high bleep is produced anyway and there's only silence ;)

How do I disconnect the sensors?

Matt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just one more question: does anybody know if this additional high pitched beep that goes off after putting car into reverse a warning signal that something is wrong with the sensors?
Thanks!
M

·
Registered
24 Posts
disconnecting sensors

hi, I have a similar problem and managed to tie it down to one sensor. What i did manage to prove was that you cannot disconnect one sensor at a time as it just brings up the long beep at the start. my car is a 2005 laguna, but I suspect they would use the same unit.
bob Jones

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: disconnecting sensors

hi, I have a similar problem and managed to tie it down to one sensor. What i did manage to prove was that you cannot disconnect one sensor at a time as it just brings up the long beep at the start. my car is a 2005 laguna, but I suspect they would use the same unit.
bob Jones
was there an easy way to check which sensor was at fault? our 05 grand scenic has just started doing this. however, we have also just had a load of body work done the other week which involved removing the rear bumper - i'd like to be able to get the garage (approved renault repair center) to perhaps own up and fix this fault!!

thanks in advance

MaFt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: disconnecting sensors

actually, i got it sorted! had 2 problems today - one being the 'check airbag' message - the resolution for that on these forums was 'wiggle the wires under the seat'. that worked.

so i tried the same method for the parking sensor - i reached up and under the bumper, could just reach the side sensors... gave it a little wiggle, and ta-da! problem solved!

MaFt

·
Registered
41 Posts
same problem here on 04 laguna, long higher tone beep, all the hand book says is contact dealer.....yea more ££££££...

once fixed does anyone know if its possible to more the sounder so i can hear it better (going deaf in my old age)

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts