Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I will be attempting to install a new rear wheel bearing in the drum of my 00 megane. No press available, so tapping it in actually.

Should I tap on the outer ring of the bearing, or the inner one? The bearing dimensions are 52mm outer, 25 mm inner. What would be a "proper" size socket to aid in tapping it in? (I guess that would depend on which ring should receive the pressure...)

Is there a write up of this type of job somewhere???

TIA,
Nikolas

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
I'd trust this job to a garage, just take the drum and bearing to them.
You risk the drum shattering using your method.
I've done the job myself using the correct sized drifts, loads of heat and wooden blocks to support the drum.
Not a job for the novice, not saying you are though!
:)

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Agreed, there's a reason why you use a 15 ton press to get a bearing in, to exert equal pressure across the whole thing. Going at it with a hammer is gonna end in tears (and a lot of swearing)

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
You never "tap" the inner rings of bearings you will burst it...... The presure should alwys be on the outer ring, as for "tapping it" I have known it done but you must make sure it goes in square otherwise you will be stuffed, also seen one put in with a vice and socket, and also a low steal, and a car jack + socket of course used, all very intersting but 1001 things to go wrong, If I where you I would strip it and take it to a garage with press to get it pushed out and the new one pushed in, I had my fronts done and it took some force to get the old ones out as bobbydog said the drum is cast and do actually shatter quite easy, they are not that strong to repell blows to the side of them between the bearing housing and the drum edge they are quite thin really. Strip and take it, should not cost you that much this way. your way could end up with either a broken drum, smashed bearing or even both. :crazy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.