Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear wiper on my sport tourer only sweeps from about 10 to 2 o'clock and rests at about the 10 o'clock position.

Now I reckon it should be covering an area from about 9 to 3 o'clock. What kind of sweep do others get from their rear wipers?

I've also looked at the mechanism and connot easily see how this can be adjusted. The wiper stop rubbers allow it to sweep 180 degrees, so why does the motor not go that far?

Any idea please?

Cheers,
Lee

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just went out to check mine, look at the thing every time I'm in the car and still could not remember. You should get almost a full 180 deg sweep from the back blade. I can copy the removal instructions from the manual if you need them.
Regards
Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went out to check mine, look at the thing every time I'm in the car and still could not remember. You should get almost a full 180 deg sweep from the back blade. I can copy the removal instructions from the manual if you need them.
Regards
Chris

Thank, but it's not so much removal instructions as how to adjust the sweep. I can't see how it can be adjusted, or which part is worn or broken, that is preventing the full 180 degree sweep.

Anyone else any ideas please?

Cheers,
Lee

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Does yours have the split tailgate?.

I had problems on my Lag 1 phase 2 as the glass can open independantly from the tailgate and the wiper arm wasn't lined up to the motor(which stays in the tailgate).

Not sure if this is entirely relevant though,as the Lag 2's may be different.:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
You could be right lag - hadn't thought of that.
Yes, certainly on our lag with the split tailgate the motor is in the bottom half and just the arm is mounted on the glass.

It may be worth opening the window - switching the wiper on and then off so the motor is in the parked position. Then carefully line the wiper arm up with the motor as you shut the window.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I think that the arm and motor have some sort of self alignment mechanism on them.I found this out by mistake as when I picked our car up,everytime you used the rear wiper it used to move about 40 degrees,then it made a horrible banging noise,then the wiper would park.Some numpty had fitted a wiperblade that was too long,so as the arm come up,it caught on the rear spoiler(which incedently broke too,but is now fixed!),the motor continued on it's travel,then caught the arm again on it's way back and parked it.

Also,if you leave the rear wiper on intermittant,then open the tailgate window,the motor still works,and no matter where the arm stops when you open the window,it will eventually park and continue working when you shut it.

I think that all makes sense!:eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a split tailgate, but that isn't the problem.

Even if you open the glass part and the wiper blade moves before being closed again, the the design of the blade ensures that the blade re-engages with the motor when the motor moves.

The problem is that the motor is only moving in an arc of about 120 degrees rather than the usual 180 degrees. The motor is moving evenly either side of 12 o'clock. It's not sticking or straining or grating at all and it always parks at the end of the sweep. It's just not sweeping a big enough arc.

Cheers,
Lee

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
The wiper mechanism, (not the motor) is held in position on the screen by the wiper arm spindle and a bolt glued to the screen.

The bolt can detach from the screen so allowing the wiper mechanism to move in an arc of approx 40 degrees.

This could be your problem, it was with me until I re-glued the bolt on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts