Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,the rearview mirror on my 53 plate Megane(automatic dip) has come off,do i just slide it back on,pushing it up the widscreen.
Thanks in advance.

·
Tourerman
2,226 Posts
There must be someone in the forum with a 53 plate Megane who can answer the above question, come on !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know you will have solved this by now, but for future users, on many Renaults the rear view mirror is secured using a metal 'foot' secured to the windscreen, and a metal 'shoe' on the mirror, that fits over the 'foot'. The shoe+mirror then slides up the windscreen about 12mm.
Inside the 'shoe' is a black spring which grips the 'foot' when in place.
In my opinion the spring creates only moderate friction when it grips the 'foot', and anyone adjusting the mirror by pushing down, can easily overcome the friction and slide the 'shoe' off the 'foot' and mirror and both plastic covers fall off, probably breaking clips on the plastic covers.
My solution was to remove the shoe/mirror, and drill a 3mm hole in the side of the metal 'shoe', 10mm down from the top and 5mm in from the windscreen edge. Screw an appropriate self-tapper into hole, then remove.
Fit the 'shoe' back over the 'foot', slide 'shoe' up. Screw in self-tapper in new hole, which now prevents 'shoe' sliding back down. Reconnect electronic-dimmer cable if fitted. Refit lower plastic cover. Refit upper plastic cover
Works for me!
[2011 Megane Sport Tourer]

·
Registered
14 Posts
in future to remove the mirror just give it 2/3 light taps with a hammer and it will slide straight down but make sure to unplug the connectors first,,,it might just take 1 tap to remove,and do the same for refitting slide the mirror up and then tap it into place you should see the top slightly overlap about a 1mm or 2mm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi - I am clearly a total wally. I am having trouble even removing the plastic covers! I want to get inside to grease the fan as it is buzzing. I can loosen the covers so that the upper and lower covers are apart, but a can't remove them. I don't want to break them. For the lower cover, can anyone tell me in which direction I should apply force? In line with the glass 'down' the window? Or is it a left or right movement needed? Or maybe I should be tackling the upper cover first - the one just behind the mirror?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,the rearview mirror on my 53 plate Megane(automatic dip) has come off,do i just slide it back on,pushing it up the widscreen.
Thanks in advance.
On a clio the mirror slides up to remove and obviously down to replace i have just done that

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have just bought a scenic 2011 and on the second day of ownership i was trying to position the mirror slightly and it came away in my hand can it be replaced with the cover on or is it easier to take it apart and does the shoe slide down or up . anyone have an idea ? tia

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
i have just bought a scenic 2011 and on the second day of ownership i was trying to position the mirror slightly and it came away in my hand can it be replaced with the cover on or is it easier to take it apart and does the shoe slide down or up . anyone have an idea ? tia
Have you read any of this thread? and i have no idea if you are trying to say if its broken, or just needs to be refitted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you read any of this thread? and i have no idea if you are trying to say if its broken, or just needs to be refitted
thanks for the reply. i have just bought the car, i cant see anything broken ,it looks fine, the cover is intact, it just came off when i was adjusting the mirror. because i have not encountered this type of mirror ,i was just puzzled can and how does it go back as is ?
cheers in advance

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,704 Posts
Got any photos Woodie... may help us work out what is what?

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the reply. i have just bought the car, i cant see anything broken ,it looks fine, the cover is intact, it just came off when i was adjusting the mirror. because i have not encountered this type of mirror ,i was just puzzled can and how does it go back as is ?
cheers in advance
well finally got it apart, then followed mikey77 post ie drlled and fitted self tapping screws and fitted it. well chuffed, thanks for replying mikeyjp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts