Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried trawling through all the threads concerning Sat Nav because some time ago somebody mentioned that there is a way of rebooting the carminat drive, aside from going to Renault and getting my pants pulled down its the only option left to me, can anyone remember how its done? the reboot, not my pants. :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
me too

same problem.
just done a 2500km trip to the south west of france.
we left sheffield and by the time we got to nottingham (M1) the sat nav crashed and never regained.

Has anyone see this before. The icon had us flying through fields/rivers etc. not good.

if anyone can help me.

I've tried trawling through all the threads concerning Sat Nav because some time ago somebody mentioned that there is a way of rebooting the carminat drive, aside from going to Renault and getting my pants pulled down its the only option left to me, can anyone remember how its done? the reboot, not my pants. :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reboot

Hi All
This what I did on my Lag 3.0 V6 Initiale as I have the cd & gps symbol turning red with the hour glass searching non-stop. This as follows:

1) Remove the ashtray and underneath you should see a 20 A fuse.
2) Remove the fuse and leave it for about 30 minutes or alternatley you can remove the control unit on the dashboard and disconnect the connectors (2 off) behind the control unit.
3) After 30 minutes reinsert the fuse or reconnect the connectors.
4) Switched on and initialise your system i.e. like putting in the country, city etc.
5) After this is done the cd symbol should turn green but normally the gps symbol still shows red.
6) Drive around for at least 15 minutes for the gps to search for no. of satellites.
7) If all well you should get the green symbols on both.

Hoep this helps.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
If you want a copy of the complete service manual for the Carminat including testing info, go to:-

http://www.matrasport.dk/Cars/Espace/vault/JE/3729A.pdf

Len

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
try this way as a reboot
turn off radio then hold buttons m and c (i think) together until all the lights flash then it should go into a recongfig mode

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All
This what I did on my Lag 3.0 V6 Initiale as I have the cd & gps symbol turning red with the hour glass searching non-stop. This as follows:

1) Remove the ashtray and underneath you should see a 20 A fuse.
2) Remove the fuse and leave it for about 30 minutes or alternatley you can remove the control unit on the dashboard and disconnect the connectors (2 off) behind the control unit.
3) After 30 minutes reinsert the fuse or reconnect the connectors.
4) Switched on and initialise your system i.e. like putting in the country, city etc.
5) After this is done the cd symbol should turn green but normally the gps symbol still shows red.
6) Drive around for at least 15 minutes for the gps to search for no. of satellites.
7) If all well you should get the green symbols on both.

Hoep this helps.
I tried this on mine but it still doesnt work anymore ideas guys????

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorted the sat nav

same problem.
we left sheffield and by the time we got to nottingham (M1) the sat nav crashed and never regained.

Has anyone see this before. The icon had us flying through fields/rivers etc. not good.

if anyone can help me.
hi i had a similar problem with my sat nav but i also had it saying i was 15 mile from where i was . driving through lakes and accross fields , and i couldnt get the sattelite to go green or the clock to tell the correct time. i managed to fix it with a quote from renault of 75 quid plus vat for a new antenna i decided to brows around ebay ,i managed to get a magnetic gps receiver for the whole sum of 7 quid and thats including postage ! i then unplugged the old one out of the back of the cd rom and plugged in the new one , feeding the cable around the trim and sticking it on the inside ot the windscreen near the rear view mirror, on the shaded bit, turned on the sat nav and hey we was green , the next thing to sort was the clock and my positioning , i tried removing the head unit prior to the new antenna with no joy and pressing buttons in sequence, no joy again . so i decided what the hell , i got the installation sofware disk out of my service wallet and put it into the cd rom , the sat nav then asked me if i wanted to install the disk to which i chose yes , a couple of minutes later the sat nav then tells you its complete and then will reboot to which it did , know i have sat nav , all green lights and a clock that tells the correct time !!!! yay !!! 7 quid for a gps antenna , that was the best bit and it does the same as the renault one , sattelites galore now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tried the reboot on mine too and it does not reset (Laguna II 3.0 V6 Sport Tourer). Even left the comms unit (above the radio) out of the car for 3 hours and when I reconnected it, it still remembered the language, country, etc.!!!!

Also, looked through the Renault PDF file that Len_Oonx posted a link to (thanks it was very useful). However, the sat nav still says that there is no CD when ther is one and it is obviously reading it and showing the maps from it, and it says there is no satellite reception regardless of how long the car is driven for. When I look at my position on the map it shows me to be about 50 miles off the coast of Aberdeen instead of near Liverpool.

All the diagnostics show no errors except receiving the satellite signal where it shows no location information. Aerial connections all seem to be OK as I have removed the CD reader from the glovebox and the central comms unit from the console, all to no avail! I've even overwritten the software with the older version and tried that, same problem. Current version installed is 1.89.

Any ideas anyone?

Maybe it is time to buy a £7 GPS antenna!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi , i had a similar problem , i even left my sat anv out for 2 days and still had the problem of , no clock,sat nav 50 miles out .and wrong language and no sattelites , so i read a few threads on here , and had a quote for a sat nav from renault , 75 quid was a bit steep for me , so i bought one from ebay ( New MMCX GPS Antenna-Navman 550 520 510 320 PiN 570 300 on eBay, also, GPS Accessories, GPS, Consumer Electronics (end time 23-Dec-07 14:11:22 GMT) ) this is the gps antenna i bought , i thiought for the price im willing to try i, once it came i found the plug was wrong so i just went to my nearest auto elec and they sold me a plug for a couple a more quid , i then plugged it in and situated it on the inside of the windscreen behind the black shaded bit and stuck it on with double sided tape ,, i then reinstalled the software and if you go into the settings you can select the language and the location and tell the gps where you are,what language and it can work from there. hence once i had reinstalled the software i had satelites , after a few days my clock began to be correct and my satelite light is alwasys green now with at least five , so all in all it must a cost me all of a tenner to repair my sat nav ,yipee .sounds harder than what it is

·
Registered
35 Posts
same problem.

if anyone can help me.
Hi my sat nav is lost aswell it sends me cross fields and allsorts and seems to be miles and miles away, but it worked fine until it went to my local dealer to have a new uch and ecu put in.when I contacted my local dealer they asked me to book it in to have a look and they told me it was the aerial and to fit a new one is a £180 . yet to get a second opinion as I thought it would just be a matter of ressetting it cos of the new parts can anyone help also can someone tell me ow the drivers door panel comes off

·
Registered
75 Posts
Am in the same boat as all here.

I have tried the reset by pulling the fuse, nothing. That did, however, reset my stereo and I found myself scrabbling throught the manuals to find the code (all's good and Radio 2 again now).

Pulled the CCU from the dash and pulled all the plugs. Refitted (with a lot of pushing, swearing and cable juggling) and still nothing.

Then decided to take my boot apart, to check cabling and connectors. After much panel removal, found the connectors and they look sound.

I have ordered a new mapping CD from 'The Bay', which is 08 data and cost me £27 inc P&P and also a replacement antenna for £15 inc P&P. Have left boot in bits as antenna should be here tomorrow, so can plug it in and see whether it is the dreaded 'Shark Fin' thta has died on me, or if it a cabling issue. Either way, will go for the mounting antenna on either dash or screen next to mirror (only doing the cable check thing to satisfy my engineering curiosity) Am assuming that part of the antenna must be OK, as I am still receiving radio and at good reception levels.

Will update when i find out more

Plus, amazing forums really. Already helped me with AC backlight (5 mins work)

Keep up the good work

Paul

edit:- was the aerial that had gone. Plugged in replacement and had green icon and full tracking within 2 mins. Aerial now glued to widscreen next to mirror, with cable hidden in head lining and passenger pillar.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Am in the same boat as all here.

I have tried the reset by pulling the fuse, nothing. That did, however, reset my stereo and I found myself scrabbling throught the manuals to find the code (all's good and Radio 2 again now).

Pulled the CCU from the dash and pulled all the plugs. Refitted (with a lot of pushing, swearing and cable juggling) and still nothing.

Then decided to take my boot apart, to check cabling and connectors. After much panel removal, found the connectors and they look sound.

I have ordered a new mapping CD from 'The Bay', which is 08 data and cost me £27 inc P&P and also a replacement antenna for £15 inc P&P. Have left boot in bits as antenna should be here tomorrow, so can plug it in and see whether it is the dreaded 'Shark Fin' thta has died on me, or if it a cabling issue. Either way, will go for the mounting antenna on either dash or screen next to mirror (only doing the cable check thing to satisfy my engineering curiosity) Am assuming that part of the antenna must be OK, as I am still receiving radio and at good reception levels.

Will update when i find out more

Plus, amazing forums really. Already helped me with AC backlight (5 mins work)

Keep up the good work

Paul

edit:- was the aerial that had gone. Plugged in replacement and had green icon and full tracking within 2 mins. Aerial now glued to widscreen next to mirror, with cable hidden in head lining and passenger pillar.
Could you detail what antenna you bought from Ebay? I'm in the same boat. the CD is on its way, just need the replacement antenna.
thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stolen,

the antenna you need is this one
I have just plugged it direct into back of glovebox receiver, placed the antenna next to the rear view mirror and hidden the cabling in the roof liner and pillar. Works a charm

·
Registered
80 Posts
Stolen,

the antenna you need is this one
I have just plugged it direct into back of glovebox receiver, placed the antenna next to the rear view mirror and hidden the cabling in the roof liner and pillar. Works a charm
I have also the same issue, can you confirm it plugs into the back of the CD rom in the glovebox and not the unit in the centre of the dashboard please ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fletch

You shouldnt need any drivers to get to it.

Just take the carpet/card cover off the bottom of the passenger side foot well and look up at the unit. The connector is easily accesible from there. Juts pop it off and pop the new one on. I used the covering to hide the 37 miles of extra cable that comes with the new antenna

Paul

1 - 20 of 66 Posts