Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Well, I'd not even had my new (new to me, it's an 04 plate) Clio 24 hours, and the wife had managed to scuff the front bumper/wheel arch :(

She was full of remorse, and it wasn't done on purpose, so I could hardly go mental!

Could anyone recommend something to help tidy this up? I'm thinking of a coloured wax I could put on, try to buff it out?

I will try to have a nose around Halfords, see if they flog anything, but I'd be grateful for any help :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
scuff marks

Drat these pesky scuff marks!! Heres a few ideas - firstly wash and clean the area first and then gently polish the area with a rubing compound (most motor factors can supply)- be careful this stuff is fairly powerful and if you rub too much you can actually tske the top layer of paint off - its much coarser that T-cut or brasso - this may actually buff some if not all of the marks out. Next step is to polish it with a T-cut this will help remove most of the swirl marks left by the compound. If scores are still left you could try filling it with a similar coloured wax crayon. Heat the area with a hair dryer and rub the crayon in a circular motion to fill the scratches. Then finish off with a suitable coloured polish - apply at least 2 coats and leave to dry for an hour or so - then polish off. Otherwise it is a paintjob - if your cars red you may be able to raid her makeup case.
P.S. There are a number of coloured polishes on the market that come with their own coloured wax crayon suppled - I have used one on my car - but as it's black I resorted to black shoe polish! LOL. In my experience Halfords don't seem to keep a good choice and I've always found motor factors that bit better - after all they supply the second hand motor trade - who use this type of stuff on a regular basis. Another idea would be to contact one of the companies that offer a scratch removal service - theres one were I live called "Colorworks". Try yellow pages! Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my opinion just bite the bullit and have it repaired. I used to be a painter/body repairer for nearly 7 years and there IS NO SUBSTITUTE to getting it done properly. I would say it would set you back no more than 70-80 quid, any more and they're pulling your pants down. Sorry but i have seen cars that have had some real dog home made repairs, besides while there is a blemish or mark on your car, your gonna spot it every time and it'll eat at you. Sorry.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi :eek: ... luna lander is spot on, however if its really just a scuff that doesnt need filled and your confident then smooth over the area with micro wet and dry (1500) then use 3M Finesse-it and some good polishing cloths, and put the elbow grease to work or if you have a polishing mop (red) polish it very wet at 2000rpm and keep it wet or it'll burn.

You'll need to get the stuff below from bodyshop supplies or paint disti.

The 3M will cost you approx £15/ltr
The cloths £5 ish (ask them to split the pack)
A red mop will cost £5 ish (only if you have a polisher/mop.)

You'll be amazed, but if its a gouge into the plastic/metal then luna lander is right, bite the bullet and get it fixed by a bodyshop.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Yes, the 3M-Finesse stuff (and other 3M products) are very good.

I had swirls marks and a huge scratch on my boot lid. The scratch was rubbed out with 1500 (wet) and the whole car buffed with 3M-Finess and the top layer (can't remember what it was called, but used as a finisher mainly for black cars) - result was a car in showroom condition.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there Dave, what has been mentioned is all very good advice, but what really needs assessing is how bad the damage is. (i.e. is it limited to the lacquer/clearcoat - or has the paint itself been gouged?).

If it is limited to the lacquer, I would advise 3M fast cut compound, then 3M finesse-it, finally 3M machine polish - all applied using a damp cloth in circular motion by hand. This will (with a bit of patience) get any lacquer damage sorted out. These products are available from paint suppliers and wholesale shops - not halfords.

If the paint/plastic itself has been damaged, then you will need to get outside help - the prices being mentioned are realistic - I repaired both bumpers (re-spraying the full bumpers) on a Nissan Micra on Saturday (plus a couple of dashboard repairs & scratches/chips) for £180 all-in.

Make sure whoever does the work will be doing it indoors - and paints the entire bumper (so there are no mis-matches or surface blemishes).

All the best,

Paul:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some great replies there from everyone - thanks! :)

The marks aren't that noticeable at all, but as mentioned earlier, I'll notice it, because I know it's there!

I'll try to post some pics later on :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
The stuff i used to use was called FARECLA G3, this was for badly faded paint and also the first stage after being 'wet flatted' bings it up very nice. To get the finished result i used to use FARECLA G10, it's a real fine buffing compound to give that mirror finish but you will need to give your car a right good bath to get the buffing compound off the splats everywhere lol, and put some elbow grease in with a good quality wax to get rid of the greasy swirls left by the buffer.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the end, I picked up something (and I bet you all go 'oh no, that's stuff is rubbish ;) ) called turtlewax colour restore, which came with a wax stick

Basically you apply the wax stick (colour coded to the car) until you get the scratch level with the rest of the paintwork, then buff out the excess.

Put on the colour wax liquid, leave it to dry and then re-buff - job done! It's a lot better than before, and you'd only really notice it still if you knew where to look :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Coloured car polish

Hi Dave - I see you took my advice after all and for less than a tenner - well done! I have used it on many occasions and it is used extensiely in the used car trade but they wouldn't tell you that. It takes a bit of practice to get it right - but sure if it was easy anyone could do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Paint scuffs

Had a load of paint scuffs on my brand new X type about three years ago, the scuffs were only in the clear coat, (if you run your finger nail over the scuff and there is no 'clicking' your nail doesnt snag in the scratch) you can polish it out, I used a Mer scratch kit, came with an applicator you put it on the end of a power drill and apply the polishing compound and buff out the scuff marks, dead easy!
Also I use the three step system from Meguires i.e. paint cleaner, polish, and then any quality wax I use the tech wax from Meguires.

No more scuff marks and paint work that feels like glass:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts