Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please post something good about a laguna II, I collect mine tomorow (with a full tank now that they messed me around) and I am starting to wonder if its such a good idea.

I love the look inside and out of the Lag II Privilege, but all I have read on here is this blowing up, black smoke, high revs, not turning off, blown up.........:crazy:

Does anyone have anything good to say, is the 1.9DCI on an 02 plate a good buy with only 40k on the clock???

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Its perfectly normal to get the 'jitters' when you are making a substantial purchase. I presume that you gave the car a good going over during the test drive?

From the pictures you posted - the car looks well cared for, but remember, no used car is exempt from wear & tear, however, all the problems you can read on this forum won't inevitably happen to you either. At least, you have the benefit from others' experiences, and will know what to look out for at the earliest (least costly) stages.

Many of the members have had more than one Renault - if the cars were so poor, that would not be the case. Also, if they were 'high-risk' cars, it would prove prohibitive to obtain aftermarket warranties - you know that this isn't the case either.

When I worked for Ford, all I ever heard was problem after problem - its very easy to adopt a negative mindset, but remember, there must be over a million Renaults on the UK roads, and a comparatively small number of these drivers have been motivated to join this forum for assistance with their issues - I'm no mathematician, but the odds are in your favour.

Try to relax and enjoy what should be a pleasant experience - you're not waiting on Death Row for the first problem to leave you high & dry!;)

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your words of comfort, and needed them badly.

I have as yet not had an opportunity to test drive it. I spent about 20 mins reving the engine, starting, stopping and starting again to make sure it started ok and sounded ok, checked as many electrics as I could find (sunroof as far as it would go etc etc, and the following were found during my checks.

Both front windows require what I believe is regulator replacement, seems common on other cars (rovers) as well so not a worry, they will, are replacing them today

It failed its MOT apparently due to a ball joint, where I do not know, but obviousley I wont have the car without an MOT so again, I am not worried.

I suppose the only thing I am worried about is warranties, and thats the discussion I am having tomorow when I collect the car, if the warranty is, or does not appear sufficient I will not take their one and get an aftermarket one that will cover things.

I have no plans on driving it hard, as I get older (whew 37 now you know) I have started to drive a little more relaxed, and thats the plan here.

Again, many thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Just follow the usual advice and change the oil and filter at least once between services - at least every 9K, or possibly even every 6K if you do mostly urban mileage.

At 40K, you'll only have had two services so far, so that's only two missed oil changes if you were going by the 9K schedule instead. I'd be surprised to hear of the dreaded turbo failure at such low mileage (I'm ready to be corrected) so I'd be pretty confident that things will be okay as long as you go by the revised oil change schedule in future.

As Chris says, check that the warranty covers the turbo. I'd also contemplate extending the warranty with a third-party one when it runs out, also making sure that this covers the turbo too.

Finally every turbodiesel owner (not just Renault) should be prepared for the worst case scenario, which is where the engine starts running on its lubricating oil and suddenly races out of control (on the Renaults, it's usually the turbo that causes this, but other problems can cause the same symptoms on other cars.)

Quick thinking on your part can easily make the difference between needing a new turbo and intercooler, and needing a whole new engine. If this happens, stop the car, apply the footbrake hard, stick it in a high gear and dump the clutch to stall the engine. Don't attempt to restart it until you've had it looked at.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So does anyone have a sort of list of the things that need to be covered by a warranty of one year so at least I have something to check against.

With regards changing the intake pipe for the turbo, how would I know if it has not been changed (visible) and is it something that I myself could change without too much difficulty.

Im not thick (Web Design, Graphics Design, IT, FO etc...) but I am also no mechanic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts