Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noted a rise in the "tell me" or "i need" posts that some members are posting where manners seem to have gone missing.
If asking for help or advice a please or thank-you goes a long way in encouraging other members to reply.
Please remember that the members who give out advice and tips do so freely,without reward and in their own time. So a little appreciation of that by some would be welcomed.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I went on A Jaguar forum once where the question was just...........

Jaguar...... Cam Chains.

The answers were......

I'll raise you 1 Ferrari Exhaust.

1 set of wheels.

I'm out, only got a Skoda door handle

The poker thread went on with another 5 bets.

I think the questioner got the message

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I have noted a rise in the "tell me" or "i need" posts that some members are posting where manners seem to have gone missing.
Well said!

I'm not that bothered by please and thank you to be honest, but "tell me" and "I need" are just plain rude. "Can anybody tell me" or "Can someone help me to find" work so much better.

Equally rude are the people who throw a strop when they've had no responses. I don't mind when it's done as a polite bump, but the "so can none of you lot help me?" kind of thing gets right up my nose.

And finally, a call for meaningful thread titles. "Juddering clutch on Scenic" is a meaningful title, "Please help, I have a problem" isn't :p

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
PM etiquette

Would all members please refrain from sending unsolicited PM's requesting help to our more established members without posting your problem into the correct forum first.

As you can imagine these can and do cause some irritation to such members .Most members are willing to help openly but dislike being sent constant PM's asking for help/advice.

Anyone reported to us for such matters will be dealt with accordingly.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In addition to the above please read selwonks post explaining the restrictions we have put into place to help combat this.

"It's clear that there is more problem solving activity going on via PM than on the main boards. Although this is great for our users, it stifles activity on the boards which is essential for continuing to build on the success of the site

As of today new users will not have access to the private message system until they have gained veteran status (25 posts + 1 week)

I'm sure you will all agree that this is for the benefit of the whole community"

Read the full thread >>>here<<<

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whilst on the subject of manners would all members please refrain from multiple posting of the same problem.

Recently some members have sarted upto 8 different threads in several forums all related to the same problem.This is against forum procedures and I will deal with further offences of this manner by closing threads and if need be more drastic action if warnings are ignored.

Our members will try to answer all posts and do a fantastic job, a little patience is needed, I'm sure your problem will be answered if a member can help.

A

·
0 Posts
whilst on the subject of manners would all members please refrain from multiple posting of the same problem.

Recently some members have sarted upto 8 different threads in several forums all related to the same problem.This is against forum procedures and I will deal with further offences of this manner by closing threads and if need be more drastic action if warnings are ignored.

Our members will try to answer all posts and do a fantastic job, a little patience is needed, I'm sure your problem will be answered if a member can help.

I do agree with you Bonedavid.

SOME TIMES THE SITE HAS BEEN A LITTLE SLOW
AND I MYSELF HAVE WONDERED IF THE POST I HAD JUST MADE DID GO THROUGH. I HAVE WAITED TO SEE AND AS YET NOT POSTED TWICE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the standard on here's pretty good, though as a newbie maybe I haven't come across peoples more abrupt sides yet. But it never hurts to give people a gentle reminder. I guess sometimes people are in a rush, but it only takes a second longer.

Some of the footie forums I've been on are horrendous. I know, I know, I should support a better class of team...

S

·
0 Posts
I think the standard on here's pretty good, though as a newbie maybe I haven't come across peoples more abrupt sides yet. But it never hurts to give people a gentle reminder. I guess sometimes people are in a rush, but it only takes a second longer.

Some of the footie forums I've been on are horrendous. I know, I know, I should support a better class of team...
We are indeed a collective of gentle souls...

*cough*

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
I have to agree, In my line of work if somebody comes on the phone demanding help, then it just gets your back up, if the customer comes on and is polite and treats me with the same respect I treat the customer with ill even go out of my way to help an dsometimes go beyond. remember good manners = help ----- bad manners = no help...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts